Are c1 cos(wt) + c2 sin(wt) and A sin(wt + phi) Equivalent?

In summary, to show that x(t) = c1 cos(wt) + c2 sin(wt) and x(t) = A sin(wt + phi) are equivalent, you can use the trigonometric identity sin(alpha + beta) = sin(alpha)cos(beta) + cos(alpha)sin(beta). By letting alpha = wt and beta = phi, and knowing that sin(phi) and cos(phi) are constants, you can easily show the equivalence between the two expressions.
Knight
Hi. I have to show that
x(t)=c1 cos(wt) + c2 sin(wt) '(1)'
and
x(t) = A sin(wt + phi)
are equivalent. I know I have to use
sin(alpha + beta) = sin(alpha)cos(beta) + cos(alpha)sin(beta)
or
cos(alpha +beta)= cos(alpha)cos(beta) - sin(alpha)sin(beta)

I have been strugling with this problem for a long time, trying to multiply expression (1) with cos(beta) and so on but I don't think I am getting anywere. Could someone please give me a little hint how to begin on this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try applying sin(alpha + beta) = sin(alpha)cos(beta) + cos(alpha)sin(beta) to x(t) = A sin(wt + phi)

Let alpha = wt and beta = phi, and since phi is some constant (phase angle), then sin(phi) and cos(phi) are constants.

That was easy.
Thanks.:smile:

1. What is a trigonometric problem?

A trigonometric problem is a mathematical problem that involves the use of trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent to solve for unknown angles or sides in a triangle.

2. How do I solve a trigonometric problem?

To solve a trigonometric problem, you will need to use the known values of angles and sides in a triangle, along with the trigonometric functions, to set up and solve equations.

3. What are some common applications of trigonometric problems?

Trigonometric problems are commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to calculate distances, angles, and other measurements.

4. Can you give an example of a trigonometric problem?

One example of a trigonometric problem is finding the length of a side in a right triangle when given the measure of one angle and the length of another side.

5. What are some strategies for solving trigonometric problems?

Some strategies for solving trigonometric problems include using the Pythagorean theorem, setting up and solving equations using trigonometric ratios, and using inverse trigonometric functions to find missing angles or sides.