1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A tube with gas

Tags:
  1. Mar 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (56th Polish Olympiad in Physics, 2007) We have a tube of mass ##M##, consisting of two segments of diameters ##d_1, d_2##. The pistons (see the picture http://www.kgof.edu.pl/archiwum/56/of56-2-1-R.pdf) have mass ##m_1, m_2##.

At the start the air inside had pressure ##p_0## equaling the pressure outside the pipe. The tube itself and the right piston weren't moving. The left piston was moving to the right with velocity ##v_p##.
    The force air acts on an element of a piston or a pipe doesn't depend on the element's velocity.

The process is adiabatic and reversible and the pistons are hermetic. We neglect the friction.

2. Relevant equations

It is suggested that if ##a_1, a_2, a_3## are the accelerations of the left piston, right piston and the tube respectively, ##S_i = \frac {\pi d_i^2}4, i = 1,2##, moreover ##\Delta S = S_1 - S_2## and ##p## is the difference of pressures, then
    $$m_1 a_1 = -pS_1 ~~~~(1)$$
    $$m_2 a_2 = pS_2 ~~~~(2)$$
    $$M a_3 = p \Delta S ~~~~(3)$$

Is my attempt of proving this correct?

3. The attempt at a solution

The formulas (1) and (2) are obvious and come from the formula ##F = pS##. It's only left to prove the formula (3).
    Let ##p_1## be the momentum of the left piston, ##p_2## - of the right piston and the tube. The momentum of the whole system is constant, so ##p_1 +p_2 = 0##. Hence the difference ##d(P_1 + P_2) = dp_1 + dp_2 = 0##. If it happens over the same, very short time, we have
    $$ 0 = \frac {dp_1}{dt} + \frac {dp_2}{dt} = \frac {m_1 dv_1}{dt} + \frac {m_2 dv_2 + M dv_3}{dt} = m_1 a_1 + m_2 a_2 + M a_3 $$

Hence
    $$Ma_3 = -m_1a_1 - m_2 a_2 = p(S_1 - S_2) = p \Delta S$$

Is it correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I believe that's correct. Note that it agrees with the notion that the net force on ##M## is due to the difference in pressure ##p## acting over the regions of ##M## shown below.

Attached Files:

4. Mar 22, 2015 #3
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted