Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Two-Dimensional Universe

1. Aug 11, 2006 #1
    This is a model that describes a universe comprised entirely of points (0-dimensional objects) and time. The underlying mechanism of this model is very simple: any object is a collection of point-time constructions. A construction of a higher order can be accomplished through a kind of 'time exposure' of an object of a lower order.

Let me illustrate:

Think of one of the tail lights in this picture as our 0-dimensional point. When time is added, this becomes a one-dimensional line.

Likewise, when a line is exposed to time its time exposure creates a rectangle.

And a rectangle creates a rectangular solid in time exposure.

A shape can therefore be thought of as a cross-section exposed to time.

Illustration (time exposure is from left to right)

Note that, while a cube in our perception is the very unit of substance and form, it is nothing more than a point and some time in this model.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2006 #2

4. Sep 1, 2006 #3
    When you mentioned a "two-dimensional universe" I was guessing at first that it only included spatial dimensions and not time. I personally don't believe dimensions exist in nature but is only a fabrication of geometry. Singularities gives us good intuition of this.
    There was a book that I think was written in the 19th century called "Flatlanders" It tells of a story of beings living in a 2 dimensional spatial universe when a three dimensional sphere passes through their plane of existence.
    I coudn't find it on Google and the only reference to it was made in a book review of the book, "The Elegant Universe" which is probably where I heard about "Flatlanders". The book is probably out of print and cannot be ontained used due to its age but I would imagine that some university libraries have it in stock
  5. Sep 2, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What's your point? Looks like an oversimplified model that might be used say to illustrate some simple point in relativity but I don't see why it is in philosophy section.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?