A Two-Dimensional Universe

• Thread starter Futobingoro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the conversation discusses a model of the universe made up of points and time, where objects are created through a process of time exposure. The example of a tail light and the concept of dimensional exposure are used to explain this model. The conversation also mentions a book called "Flatlanders" that explores the idea of a two-dimensional universe and the potential implications of such a concept. The speaker also shares their personal belief that dimensions are a fabrication of geometry and mentions the book "The Elegant Universe" which references "Flatlanders".
Futobingoro
This is a model that describes a universe comprised entirely of points (0-dimensional objects) and time. The underlying mechanism of this model is very simple: any object is a collection of point-time constructions. A construction of a higher order can be accomplished through a kind of 'time exposure' of an object of a lower order.

Let me illustrate:

Think of one of the tail lights in http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/1807/1ld2.jpg [Broken].

Likewise, when a line is exposed to time its time exposure creates a rectangle.

And a rectangle creates a rectangular solid in time exposure.

A shape can therefore be thought of as a cross-section exposed to time.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/7158/2gl4.png [Broken] (time exposure is from left to right)

Note that, while a cube in our perception is the very unit of substance and form, it is nothing more than a point and some time in this model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org
Umm...

What?!

When you mentioned a "two-dimensional universe" I was guessing at first that it only included spatial dimensions and not time. I personally don't believe dimensions exist in nature but is only a fabrication of geometry. Singularities gives us good intuition of this.
There was a book that I think was written in the 19th century called "Flatlanders" It tells of a story of beings living in a 2 dimensional spatial universe when a three dimensional sphere passes through their plane of existence.
I coudn't find it on Google and the only reference to it was made in a book review of the book, "The Elegant Universe" which is probably where I heard about "Flatlanders". The book is probably out of print and cannot be ontained used due to its age but I would imagine that some university libraries have it in stock
RAD

Futobingoro said:
This is a model that describes a universe comprised entirely of points (0-dimensional objects) and time. The underlying mechanism of this model is very simple: any object is a collection of point-time constructions. A construction of a higher order can be accomplished through a kind of 'time exposure' of an object of a lower order.

Let me illustrate:

Think of one of the tail lights in http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/1807/1ld2.jpg [Broken].

Likewise, when a line is exposed to time its time exposure creates a rectangle.

And a rectangle creates a rectangular solid in time exposure.

A shape can therefore be thought of as a cross-section exposed to time.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/7158/2gl4.png [Broken] (time exposure is from left to right)

Note that, while a cube in our perception is the very unit of substance and form, it is nothing more than a point and some time in this model.
What's your point? Looks like an oversimplified model that might be used say to illustrate some simple point in relativity but I don't see why it is in philosophy section.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a two-dimensional universe?

A two-dimensional universe is a hypothetical concept in which space only has two dimensions - length and width. This means that objects in this universe would not have any depth or height. It is often used as a thought experiment to explore the possibilities and limitations of a world with different physical laws.

2. Can a two-dimensional universe exist?

While it is possible to imagine a two-dimensional universe, it is not possible for it to exist in our physical reality. Our universe is observed to have three dimensions of space, and the idea of a two-dimensional universe goes against the laws of physics as we know them.

3. How would life be different in a two-dimensional universe?

In a two-dimensional universe, life forms would exist as flat, two-dimensional beings. They would not have a sense of depth or the ability to perceive objects in three dimensions. This would greatly impact their movement, communication, and overall perception of their environment.

4. What are the implications of a two-dimensional universe for our understanding of physics?

Studying a two-dimensional universe can help us better understand the fundamental principles of physics, such as gravity and electromagnetism. It can also challenge our current theories and lead to new insights and discoveries.

5. Are there any real-world examples of a two-dimensional universe?

While we do not have any evidence of a two-dimensional universe in our physical reality, scientists have created simulations and models to explore this concept. Additionally, some theories in quantum mechanics suggest the possibility of multiple dimensions beyond our own three-dimensional world.