A two mass and spring system

In summary, the conversation discusses two identical blocks connected by a spring on a frictionless surface. A constant force is applied to one block, causing a change in positions and an increase in kinetic energy. In the point particle system, there is a change in translational and vibrational kinetic energy, as well as spring potential energy. In the real system, there is also a change in translational and spring potential energy, but rotational kinetic energy is not present. Vibrational kinetic energy may or may not change, depending on the disorder of the motion.
Westin

Homework Statement

Two identical 0.25kg blocks (labeled 1 and 2) are initially at rest on a nearly frictionless surface, connected by an unstretched spring, as shown in the upper diagram, where x2=0.059m. Then a constant force of 17N to the right is applied to block 2, and at a later time the blocks are in the new positions shown in the lower diagram, where x1=0.01m and x3=0.108m. At this final time, the system is moving to the right and also vibrating, and the spring is stretched.

I included a picture of the given image.

Check all the forms of energy that change in the point particle system during this process:Select all that are True.
Thermal energy.
Spring potential energy.
Vibrational kinetic energy.
Rotational kinetic energy.
Translational kinetic energy.

Homework Equations

None necessary for this problem.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know there is a change in translational KE because it start from rest and doesn't end at rest.

I know there is a change in Spring PE because it initially started at rest, and ended in movement.

I know there is a change in Vibrational KE because it initially started at rest meaning very little vibration is
occurring and it ends in movement so that means their is an increase in Vibrational KE while PE is decreasing.

I believe there is a change in thermal energy cause it corresponds to Vibrational KE

I don't believe there is Rotational KE cause nothing is rotating/spinning.

Need help... one try left

[/B]

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 2.46.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 2.46.54 PM.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 692
Physics news on Phys.org
Also, I am having troubles with this one as well.

2) Check all the forms of energy that change in the real system during this process (assume that the vibrating spring doesn't get hot).Select all that are True.
Rotational kinetic energy.
Spring potential energy.
Translational kinetic energy.
Vibrational kinetic energy.

I know there is spring PE and Translational KE, I don't think there's rotational KE cause its a spring and I think there might be Vibrational KE because it initially starts at rest and ends in motion.

Vibrational energy is not necessarily considered thermal. It only rates as thermal when it is so disordered that it cannot readily be harnessed to perform useful work. A simple harmonic motion would still be considered ordered.

1. What is a two mass and spring system?

A two mass and spring system is a physical system consisting of two masses (objects with mass) connected by a spring. The spring acts as a flexible connector between the masses, allowing them to move and interact with each other.

2. How does a two mass and spring system behave?

A two mass and spring system exhibits simple harmonic motion, which means that the masses oscillate back and forth around their equilibrium positions with a constant period. The behavior of the system is determined by the masses, the spring constant (a measure of the stiffness of the spring), and the initial conditions (e.g. initial positions and velocities).

3. What is the equation of motion for a two mass and spring system?

The equation of motion for a two mass and spring system is given by m1x1'' = -kx1 + k(x2 - x1) and m2x2'' = -k(x2 - x1), where x1 and x2 are the displacements of the two masses from their equilibrium positions, m1 and m2 are the masses, and k is the spring constant. This equation can be solved to determine the position and velocity of each mass at any given time.

4. What factors affect the behavior of a two mass and spring system?

The behavior of a two mass and spring system is affected by the masses, the spring constant, and the initial conditions. Additionally, the system may be influenced by external factors such as damping (friction or resistance) and external forces.

5. How is a two mass and spring system used in real life?

Two mass and spring systems are used in various real-life applications, such as in suspension systems of vehicles (e.g. cars, bikes), shock absorbers, and earthquake-resistant structures. They are also commonly used in laboratories and classrooms to demonstrate principles of oscillations and vibrations.