Two Variable PDE in Open Domain Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation related to the tangent vector fields of geodesics on a surface. The equation can be rewritten as a separation of variables problem and can be solved using the method of characteristics. The solution shows that a vector field with index -1 can be a geodesic flow and the Gauss curvature for this example is -1. The conversation also mentions using the method of characteristics to solve similar problems in research.
lavinia
Science Advisor
Gold Member
In an open domain in the plane

(xU[itex]_{x}[/itex]-yU[itex]_{y}[/itex]-U)/U =

(xV[itex]_{x}[/itex] - y V[itex]_{y}[/itex]+V)/V

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd like to know the answer myself. Does [itex]\frac{xU_x}{U}-\frac{xV_x}{V}=\frac{yU_y}{U}-\frac{yV_y}{V}[/itex] make it any easier? I've only dabbled in PDEs myself, but that seems like a separation of variables problem, when rephrased like that.

EDIT: Mathematica gives an error saying the answer is indeterminate, because there are more dependent variables than equations.

Last edited:
TylerH said:
I'd like to know the answer myself. Does [itex]\frac{xU_x}{U}-\frac{xV_x}{V}=\frac{yU_y}{U}-\frac{yV_y}{V}[/itex] make it any easier? I've only dabbled in PDEs myself, but that seems like a separation of variables problem, when rephrased like that.

EDIT: Mathematica gives an error saying the answer is indeterminate, because there are more dependent variables than equations.

U = x V = K/x sort of works but doesn't allow the origin or the y axis.
Also the answer is a little trivial.

So you have:
x d/dx ln (U) -y d/dy ln(U) -1 = xd/dx ln (V) -y d/dy ln(V) +1
x d/dx (ln(U/V))=y d/dy (ln(U/V))+2

Now make a guess of a function of the type U/V = exp(F(x,y))

to get:
x d/dx F = y d/dy F +2

so you have x d/dx F -y d/dy F =2

d/dx (xF) - d/dy (yF) = 2

Don't see how to solve this, though.

p.s the derivatives above are partial btw.

lavinia said:
In an open domain in the plane

(xU[itex]_{x}[/itex]-yU[itex]_{y}[/itex]-U)/U =

(xV[itex]_{x}[/itex] - y V[itex]_{y}[/itex]+V)/V

I would rewrite this as

[tex]x \partial_x (\log U) - y \partial_y (\log U) - 1 = x \partial_x (\log V) - y \partial_y (\log V) + 1[/tex]

or

[tex]x \partial_x (\log U - \log V) - y \partial_y (\log U - \log V) = 2[/tex]

Define some function [itex]e^f = U/V[/itex] and you have

[tex]x \partial_x f - y \partial_y f = 2[/tex]

which should be easy to solve by characteristics. Mathematica gives

[tex]f = 2 \log x + C x y[/tex]

for arbitrary C. Then U and V can be any functions satisfying

[tex]\frac{U}{V} = x^2 e^{C x y}[/tex]

Thanks Ben

What approach would you recommend to learning more about differential equations? Right now i am learning differential geometry.

I don't know, I taught myself the method of characteristics when I started running across problems in my research that needed it.

Sometime I wonder why I even bother answering. :-/

I thank you for this solution and feel that I should explain where this equation came from.

To learn some differential geometry I posed the question of what vector fields on a surface can be tangent to geodesics for some Riemannian metric. Computation led to the condition that a unit length vector field V is tangent to geodesics if its Lie bracket with iV, the unit vector field orthogonal to it, is a multiple of iV (and that this multiple satisfies a differential equation along the geodesic that relates it to the Gauss curvature of the metric).

For the vector field xd/dx - yd/dy in a neighborhood of the origin in the plane, one gets the differential equation in this post. I think your solution shows that the field of hyperbolas y = k/x can be geodesics and that iV can be chosen to be x[itex]^{2}[/itex]d/dx + e[itex]^{-xy}[/itex]d/dy.

So it seems that a vector field of index -1 around a singularity can be a geodesic flow.

I think the Gauss curvature is -1 for this example but I haven't yet done the ugly calculation.

Last edited:

1. What is a two variable PDE?

A two variable PDE (partial differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves two independent variables and their partial derivatives. It is used to model various physical phenomena, such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetic fields.

2. What is an open domain plane?

An open domain plane is a region in the Cartesian coordinate system that does not include its boundary. This means that the equations describing the phenomena in this region do not depend on the values at the boundary, making it an important concept in the study of PDEs.

3. What are the applications of two variable PDE in open domain plane?

Two variable PDEs in open domain plane have many applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They are used to model diffusion phenomena, electric and magnetic fields, wave propagation, and many other physical processes.

4. What are the methods for solving two variable PDE in open domain plane?

There are several methods for solving two variable PDEs in open domain plane, including separation of variables, method of characteristics, finite difference method, and numerical methods like finite element method and finite volume method. The choice of method depends on the specific problem and its boundary conditions.

5. What are the challenges in solving two variable PDE in open domain plane?

Solving two variable PDEs in open domain plane can be challenging due to the complexity of the equations and the need for advanced mathematical techniques. It also requires careful consideration of the boundary conditions and the choice of appropriate numerical methods. In addition, the accuracy and stability of the solutions must be carefully evaluated.