1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A uniform solid cylindrical log begins rolling without slipping down a ramp that rise

1. Apr 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A uniform solid cylindrical log begins rolling without slipping down a ramp that rises 28.0 above the horizontal. After it has rolled 4.20 m along the ramp, the magnitude of its linear acceleration is closest to

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

What I did was

mgh=1/2mv^2+1/2Iω^2

mgh=1/2mv^2+1/2[1/2mr^2]ω^2

v=rω

mgh=1/2mv^2+1/4mv^2
    √4/3gh=v

solved for v and got 7.41m/s

I then used the constant acceleration equations

vx^2=vo+2aΔx

solving for a and got 6.54 which is the incorrect answer.

Where did I go wrong

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2012 #2
    Re: A uniform solid cylindrical log begins rolling without slipping down a ramp that

Hi Mdhiggenz,

The problem is in your first calculation, where you come up with 7.41m/s. Your manipulation of the algebra looks correct to me (double check!), but at the very last step you seem to have used h=4.20m. The problem says that the log moved 4.20m along the ramp, which means it would have descended 4.20m*sin(28deg), which is the value you should use for h. Does this fix your problem?

Hope this helps,
    Bill Mills

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook