1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Vector Problem

1. Mar 1, 2005 #1
    Hi!

Well this is the problem which is so much confusing because im not sure what method to follow while solving it. Plz Help me!

"A ballon drifts 2.5km north, 3.o Km east and 1.6 Km in elevation from its release point. find the magnitude of the displacement and the angle the displacement vector makes with the horizontal."

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's you contribution so far to solving this problem...?

Daniel.

4. Mar 2, 2005 #3
    Hi!

Well u have asked me about my contribution, listen i have try to make a north-directioned vector(2.5Km) then an Ease-directioned vector(3 Km) and now im getting confused that how to make that elevation vector, should i try to make it from my starting point then what will be its direction will it be vertically upward?

Plz help me, i have a very short time!
    Thanks

5. Mar 2, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't matter.HINT:The resulting vector when adding the 2 N & E vectors is the orthonormal projection of the vector u wish to uniquely determine on the Oxy (choosen he axis as Ox & Oy respectively) plane.U'll have to use the tangent function and Pythagora's theorem in a right triangle.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?