A Very British UFO Hoax

• Thread starter username
  • Start date
Im suprised nobody has brought this one up yet, it just goes to show how easy it is to fool people into thinking they saw a saucer from outer space. Admittedly I would have been a bit freaked out if I saw it.
http://www.apra.org.uk/A_Very_British_UFO_Hoax.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Really, the article claims that hardly anyone was fooled.

I can agree with the views of some of the production team that the filmed footage "looked convincing"’ – but perhaps that is the key, in that a film SFX crew created something that look ‘right’ on camera, but they didn’t create something that looked ‘right’ to the naked eye at the time – which is what film and TV SFX is all about.

Why did they fly it over Avebury on this night – well, because they were guaranteed a likely audience with a publicised skywatch going on, so APRA and its colleagues can take something of a compliment here… That’s not to say of course that on any night in the summer they wouldn’t have found a likely audience in the Avebury area, as it is of course something of a magnet for UFO spotters, crop circle spotters, ghost watchers and New-Agers to name but a few.

The attempt at a successful ‘hoax’ started to fall down pretty early on the night, as the flight crew had technical difficulties in getting both height and control from the launch, so it was flying too low, and not entirely under full control. As we have already noted, the light wind carried the sound of the electric motors all too easily, so it was a bit of a giveaway. From our perspective, we’d rumbled the ‘hoax’ even before we’d seen the ‘saucer’ – or as the report that went onto rense.com commented, when we "bothered to get up out of our seats"!
Hey username, let us know what you think if you see the show: Was anyone fooled?

Hi, I saw the show and I think it would have fooled just about anybody who saw it. It got onto the national bbc news. Its the only realistic? ufo hoax I have ever seen. Would be well worth a look at the documentary if you can get your hands on it.

EDIT: From what I remember lots of people were fooled

Last edited:

FZ+

Yep. Plenty of people were taken in.

What was most interesting was the way that almost immediately, the story began to get embellished. Eyewitnesses began to talk about the saucer being "50 ft across", or there being 3 saucers, or about the saucer landing, of it opening up at some stage, of it attempting to communicate and so on.