A Very British UFO Hoax: How Easy It Is To Fool

• Thread starter username
  • Start date
In summary, the BBC news article claims that the "hoax" was believable to just about anyone who saw it, and that it began to fall apart fairly quickly.
username
Im suprised nobody has brought this one up yet, it just goes to show how easy it is to fool people into thinking they saw a saucer from outer space. Admittedly I would have been a bit freaked out if I saw it.
http://www.apra.org.uk/A_Very_British_UFO_Hoax.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Really, the article claims that hardly anyone was fooled.

I can agree with the views of some of the production team that the filmed footage "looked convincing"’ – but perhaps that is the key, in that a film SFX crew created something that look ‘right’ on camera, but they didn’t create something that looked ‘right’ to the naked eye at the time – which is what film and TV SFX is all about.

Why did they fly it over Avebury on this night – well, because they were guaranteed a likely audience with a publicised skywatch going on, so APRA and its colleagues can take something of a compliment here… That’s not to say of course that on any night in the summer they wouldn’t have found a likely audience in the Avebury area, as it is of course something of a magnet for UFO spotters, crop circle spotters, ghost watchers and New-Agers to name but a few.

The attempt at a successful ‘hoax’ started to fall down pretty early on the night, as the flight crew had technical difficulties in getting both height and control from the launch, so it was flying too low, and not entirely under full control. As we have already noted, the light wind carried the sound of the electric motors all too easily, so it was a bit of a giveaway. From our perspective, we’d rumbled the ‘hoax’ even before we’d seen the ‘saucer’ – or as the report that went onto rense.com commented, when we "bothered to get up out of our seats"!

Hey username, let us know what you think if you see the show: Was anyone fooled?

Hi, I saw the show and I think it would have fooled just about anybody who saw it. It got onto the national bbc news. Its the only realistic? ufo hoax I have ever seen. Would be well worth a look at the documentary if you can get your hands on it.

EDIT: From what I remember lots of people were fooled

Last edited:
Yep. Plenty of people were taken in.

What was most interesting was the way that almost immediately, the story began to get embellished. Eyewitnesses began to talk about the saucer being "50 ft across", or there being 3 saucers, or about the saucer landing, of it opening up at some stage, of it attempting to communicate and so on.

What is "A Very British UFO Hoax: How Easy It Is To Fool" about?

"A Very British UFO Hoax: How Easy It Is To Fool" is a documentary that explores the phenomenon of UFO hoaxes and how easily they can be created and believed by the public.

Why is it important to understand the concept of UFO hoaxes?

Understanding the concept of UFO hoaxes can help us to critically evaluate and analyze alleged sightings and footage of UFOs. It also highlights the power of media and our susceptibility to believing what we see without questioning its authenticity.

What evidence is presented in the documentary to support the idea of a UFO hoax?

The documentary presents several case studies of famous UFO sightings and footage that were later revealed to be hoaxes. It also features interviews with experts in the fields of psychology and media, who provide insights into why people are so easily fooled by these hoaxes.

Does the documentary try to debunk the existence of UFOs?

No, the documentary does not try to debunk the existence of UFOs. It simply highlights the prevalence and ease of creating hoaxes in the UFO community and encourages viewers to approach alleged sightings and footage with a critical eye.

What is the main takeaway from "A Very British UFO Hoax: How Easy It Is To Fool"?

The main takeaway from the documentary is the importance of critical thinking and questioning the authenticity of information, especially in the age of widespread media and technology. It also sheds light on the power of belief and the need for scientific evidence in determining the truth behind UFO sightings and other paranormal phenomena.