What is the analytical solution to a particle decay problem on a line?

• Thread starter loom91
  • Start date
In summary, The problem is to determine the number of particles that will be left after 2^11 + 1 seconds of a decay process where a particle at the origin of a line decays into two particles, one moving 1 unit to the right and the other moving 1 unit to the left, and when two particles collide, they annihilate each other. The solution can be found using induction by considering the symmetry of the system and using the inductive hypothesis that after 2^k seconds, there are two particles each at a distance of 2^k units from the origin. This results in a solution of 4 particles remaining after 2^11 + 1 seconds.
loom91
This problem, set in the famous IIS entrance exam a few years back, has in the past few days defeated some execellent brains, including those of teachers and math wizes. The problem is simple in its statement:-

A particle is situated at the origin of a line. After a second, this particle decays into two particles of the same kind, one moving 1 unit to the right while the other moves 1 unit to the left. After another second, these two particles similarly decay. When two particles collide at a point, they annihilate each other. What number of particles will be left after 2^11 + 1 seconds of this?

Intuition suggests an answer of 4, and this can probably be checked by brute force using a computer model, though the model itself would be rather complicated. The question is how would one derive an analytical solution? Thanks, and I hope you enjoy this problem.

Molu

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Work mod 2?

A diagram helps for thinking about it:
Code:
                 o 0
                o o 1
               o   o 2
              o o o o 3
             o       o 4
            o o     o o 5
           o   o   o   o 6
          o o o o o o o o 7
         o               o 8
        o o             o o 9
       o   o           o   o 10
      o o o o         o o o o 11
     o       o       o       o 12
    o o     o o     o o     o o 13
   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o 14
  o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o 15
Now you have to show that the triangles repeat. That is, you show that if you have a triangle, distinguished by a bottom row of o's alternating with spaces, like
Code:
 T
for the rows from time 0 up until time 2^k-1, then the rows from time 0 up until time 2^(k+1)-1 follow
Code:
 T
T T
From this you can determine that the bottom row is all o's alternating with spaces at any time 2^k - 1, and then you can get your conclusion.

0rthodontist said:
A diagram helps for thinking about it:
Code:
                 o 0
                o o 1
               o   o 2
              o o o o 3
             o       o 4
            o o     o o 5
           o   o   o   o 6
          o o o o o o o o 7
         o               o 8
        o o             o o 9
       o   o           o   o 10
      o o o o         o o o o 11
     o       o       o       o 12
    o o     o o     o o     o o 13
   o   o   o   o   o   o   o   o 14
  o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o 15

That's an amazing diagram, but I'm afraid I can't understand what you said next. Are you suggesting induction? Thanks.

Molu

The diagram is just tracking what happens to the particles over 15 seconds.

Yes, I am suggesting induction. Sometimes the top of the diagram is a triangle with a base made entirely of o's separated by spaces. In what I've shown, such triangles are rows 0, 0-1, 0-3, 0-7, and 0-15. Note that, for example, rows 0-15 consist of three of the triangles of rows 0-7, one above the other two. Do you know why? And these three triangles form a larger triangle that has a bottom row of o's separated by spaces. What will row 16 look like? Generalize this argument using induction.

Last edited:
The diagram shows what I had suspected: the state of the system repeats symmetrically over time with only a scaling-up in each sucessive cycle. It displays characteristics somewhat analogous to the self-similarity of fractals. But I can't think how I can use this symmetry model to make predictions. It's too complex and my skills inadequate. I've already spent a lot of time on it, I'll hand over your hints to my mathie friend and see how he fares.

2049 breaks...

(2^n)-1 is where we have a full line of particles...
maybe this has been stated already I'm trying my own thing.

2^n we have a always 2 particles...so step [2048] would have 2 particles.

2 particles at opposite sides of spectrum...so they would each break in two...no collisions will exist...so there will turn into 4 particles.

i got 4 as the answer. I didn't prove that (2^n)-1 is a full line I just took it as granted form the picture...so I can't take credit for this but...I think the rest is correct.

My friend managed to solve it independently using induction. Apparently, his inductive hypothesis was that after 2^k seconds we have two particles each 2^k units from the origin. Now he considered one of these two particles separately. After another 2^k seconds (making a total of 2^(k+1) seconds), we would end up with one particle at the origin and the other at a distance 2^k + 2^k = 2^(k+1) units from the origin by hypothesis. The same agument can be repeated for the other one of the original particles. The two at the origin will annihilate, therefore proving the proposition for k+1. It is trivial to show for 2^1, so by the principle of mathematical induction the result is proved for all n, including 11.

The problem's solved, but I'm still in love with the rich geometry of the structure.

What is "A very difficult problem"?

"A very difficult problem" is a broad term that can refer to any complex or challenging issue or question that requires a solution or explanation.

Why is it important to study "A very difficult problem"?

By studying "A very difficult problem", scientists can gain a deeper understanding of complex systems and phenomena, and potentially find solutions that can benefit society.

What are some common examples of "A very difficult problem"?

Examples of "A very difficult problem" can include climate change, disease outbreaks, artificial intelligence, and poverty.

What are the steps involved in solving "A very difficult problem"?

The steps involved in solving "A very difficult problem" can vary depending on the specific problem, but generally include identifying the problem, gathering data and information, analyzing the data, proposing potential solutions, and testing and evaluating those solutions.

How can collaboration help in solving "A very difficult problem"?

Collaboration with other scientists, researchers, and experts in different fields can bring diverse perspectives and expertise to the problem-solving process, leading to more comprehensive and effective solutions.