1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A very interesting question on complex variable

1. Oct 19, 2005 #1
    Hello, everybody!

I'm a Maths/Physics student at Ecuador. Sorry if my English sucks, i'll try to do my best... Some fellow Physics buddy asked me if there was a way to fin a complex number that would be equal to its exponential... it is a very simple question to understand, but not to easy to prove or disprove (at least not for me, and i've tried it for a day).

So, this is what I got:

z = Ln (z)

and we would have to solve these equations:

ln r = rcos O
    O = rsen O

that would be hard to solve algebraically, I guess... I wouldn't want a numeric aproach, so maybe there is a more ellegant way to find an example of disprove the hypothesis. (I already tried Taylor expansions)

Well, please try to give some ideas on the subject.

Have a good one!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2005 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

It looks harmless enough, but it's not.

It looks harmless enough, but it's not.

The equation [tex]exp(z)=z[/tex] has a solution given by [tex]z=-W(-1)[/tex] and, if you put [tex]z=x+iy[/tex], then the solution is [tex]\left\{\begin{array}{cc}x=-iy-W(-1)\\y=y\end{array}\right.[/tex].

Where [tex]W(\cdot)[/tex] is the Lambert W function; for an excellent reference, see

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LambertW-Function.html

4. Oct 20, 2005 #3
    hmmm...

Hmmm ... Matlab gave me this answer: W(-1) = -0.3181... + i 1.3372...

Which doesn't seem to work. Maybe I made a calculation mistake (because I only typed it once on a computer at my school, and wrote the result), but it seems to make sense, since you can work z = exp (z) to

z = exp (z)
    z*exp(-z) = 1
    (-z)*exp(-z) = -1

Which indicates that W(-1) should be the value for Z (on the complex form of the Lambert-W function, which I assumed was W(z)*exp[W(z)] = F(z) )

Anyway, this function has been quite a discovery for me! I'll see if I can find an answer, you can still give me some more ideas.

5. Oct 25, 2005 #4
    oops

Nevermind... just a silly mistake...

Z = - W(-1) is the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?