A very intriguing integral

• Thread starter riemannian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the integral \int_{1}^{\infty}\frac{\left \{x \right \}}{x}\left(\frac{1}{x^{s}-1}\right)dx, which appears in references on analytic number theory. The speaker is intrigued by the integral and has tried using the Fourier expansion of the sawtooth function, but has not been able to find a solution. They mention a manipulation that reduces the integral to \frac{1}{2\pi i }\int_{1}^{\infty}\frac{\left(\pi i +\ln(-e^{2\pi i x}) \right )}{x(x^{s}-1)}dx.
riemannian
greetings . the following integral appears in some references on analytic number theory . i am really intrigued by it . and would love to understand it .
[tex] \int_{1}^{\infty}\frac{\left \{x \right \}}{x}\left(\frac{1}{x^{s}-1}\right)dx[/tex]

[itex]\Re(s)>1 [/itex] , [itex]\left \{x \right \} [/itex] is the fractional , sawtooth function .

i have tried the Fourier expansion of the sawtooth function :

[tex] \int_{1}^{\infty}\frac{\left \{x \right \}}{x}\left(\frac{1}{x^{s}-1}\right)dx = \int_{1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{x(x^{s}-1)}\left(\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{\pi}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{\sin(2\pi i nx)}{n} \right )dx =\int_{1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{x(x^{s}-1)}\left(\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2\pi i}\ln \left(\frac{1-q^{2}}{1-q^{-2}} \right)\right )dx[/tex]

where [itex] q [/itex] is the nome :
[tex] q=e^{i \pi x}[/tex]

but that brought me no where near a solution ! any suggestions on how to do the integral ??

Physics news on Phys.org
after some manipulation , the integral reduces to :

[tex] \frac{1}{2\pi i }\int_{1}^{\infty}\frac{\left(\pi i +\ln(-e^{2\pi i x}) \right )}{x(x^{s}-1)}dx[/tex]

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to calculate quantities such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration in calculus.

2. Why is "A very intriguing integral" considered intriguing?

This particular integral has gained attention for its complexity and difficulty in solving. It involves a combination of trigonometric functions, logarithms, and other mathematical operations that make it challenging to solve.

3. What are some real-world applications of integrals?

Integrals are commonly used in engineering, physics, and other sciences to solve problems related to motion, heat transfer, and more. They are also used in economics and finance to model and predict trends.

4. How do you solve "A very intriguing integral"?

Due to its complexity, there is no one specific method for solving this integral. It requires a combination of techniques such as integration by parts, substitution, and trigonometric identities. It may also involve breaking the integral into smaller parts and using multiple techniques.

5. What are some tips for solving integrals?

Some helpful tips for solving integrals include understanding the fundamental principles of calculus, practicing regularly, and breaking the integral into smaller, manageable parts. It is also important to have a good understanding of algebra and trigonometry to simplify the integral. Additionally, using online resources and asking for help from a tutor or teacher can also aid in solving difficult integrals.