1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Very Light Problem

1. Jun 15, 2003 #1
    This question really has me stumped..i would appreciate it if anyone could help me out

White light containing wavelengths of 400nm to 750 nm is shone normally onto a diffraction grating of 3000 lines/cm. Calculate the width of the spectrum that appears as the second antinode on a screen that is 100 cm away.

Is there a specific formula I can use to solve the question? If so then please help.. thanks:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2003 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The condition for maxima/minima is the same as that of a 2-slit apparatus. For adjacent slits separated by a distance d, we must have:

dsinθ=mλ for maxima and
    dsinθ=(m+1/2)λ for minima.

In both cases, m is an integer.

You use the information given about the grating to determine d and you use geometry to determine the displacement y of the antinodes on the screen. Note that your expression for y will depend on the wavelength λ.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?