Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A very quick query about strain gauges

1. Jan 3, 2004 #1

I am doing a project on strain gauges. I have the thing set up in a half-wheatstone bridge. Using a pair of strain gauges im trying to measure the weight!!(attaching each one to a side of a ruler/cantilever and bending it by attaching weight to the end)

So heres a confusing bit. I no when the gauges are unstrained the reading on the bridge shud be ZERO(i.e bridge is balanced) I'm measuring the voltage difference across the bridge not current. The point is when i bend them i get a reading(which i shud)

Am i correct in assuming that the resistance difference across the bridge when i bend it. This will b recorded as a voltage change?
    SO heres a question. If i bend it more the resistance difference should b greater so should i get a bigger reading (voltmeter) on the scales or not??

I no the explaination isnt a perfect . PLease bear with me.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What voltage are you measuring?

If I recall correctly a Wheatstone bridge relies on current measurements. If one arm is out of balance, a current will flow through the center, you then adjust the resistance in the arm opposite the load to zero the current.

You may want to check into a spell checker, while it is possible to figure out what you are trying to say, frequently I will simply go to the next message rather then attempt to figure out something as poorly written as your message.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?