1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A very weird problem

1. Sep 24, 2006 #1
    what would be the period of cos(2pi*x)*sin(2pi*x)??
    calculator is telling me it's 2, but i somehow dont wanna believe that

also, what would be the period of cos(2pi*m*x)*sin(2pi*m*x)??

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2006 #2

SGT

[tex]cos 2\pi x sin 2\pi x = \frac{1}{2}sin 4\pi x[/tex],
    so the period is [tex]\frac{4\pi}{2\pi} = 2[/tex]

4. Sep 24, 2006 #3
    That's almost correct, but the period is 1/2: if x increases from 0 to 1/2, then [tex] 4 \pi x[/tex] increases from 0 to [tex]2 \pi[/tex].

5. Sep 24, 2006 #4
    As a rule, the period of sin(n*x) or cos(n*x) is 2*pi/n. More generally, if f(x) is a periodic function with period T, than f(n*x) has period T/n. You can deduce this simply by thinking that when you multiply the argument of a periodic function by a number you actually multiply its speed of oscillation by that number, meaning that you divide its period by that number.
    So the period of cos(2pi*x) is 1. The same for sin(2pi*x). To calculate the period of cos(2pi*x)*sin(2pi*x) you can write these two functions in the complex form and see that their product has the same period as cos(4pi*x) which is 0.5. Do the same for cos(2pi*m*x)*sin(2pi*m*x).

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  6. Sep 24, 2006 #5

SGT

You're right

7. Sep 24, 2006 #6
    i agree with you people that the period should be 1/2.
    but when i look at the graph, it seems like it's 2!
    can anybody plot for me and see if they are getting the period 1/2 or 2, just based on the plot?
    thanks!

8. Sep 25, 2006 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I graphed it on a TI 93 and it looks to me like the period is clearly 1/2. Of course, since 2 is a multiple of 1/2, 2 is a period.

9. Sep 25, 2006 #8

SGT

Here is a plot.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?