Time Distortion at High Altitudes: Is Now Still Now?

• Thread starter butchie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: Evidence from lots of things besides just atomic clocks tells us that "now everywhere" is just not a valid notion.Evidence from lots of things besides just atomic clocks does not necessarily imply that "now everywhere" is not a valid notion. It is possible that evidence from lots of things besides just atomic clocks supports the idea that "now everywhere" is a valid notion.
butchie
It has been given as proof that time speeds up at higher altitudes because of the decrease in gravitation demonstrated using atomic clocks. If this is true how tall would a vine have to grow to have the tip be older than the stump? I suggest the whole concept must be wrong that suggests an impossibility such as this. Perhaps something is being overlooked in the functioning of the clocks operating under differing environments (gravitational field strength). I've read such authors as Hawking suggesting distortion of time but I am silly enough to believe that now is now everywhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
butchie said:
If this is true how tall would a vine have to grow to have the tip be older than the stump?

Strictly speaking, the tip is older as long as it's higher by any amount. A better question would be, how much older is the tip than the stump for a given height of vine in a given gravitational field? For a 10-foot high vine on Earth, the answer is, about one part in ##10^{-15}## older.

butchie said:
I suggest the whole concept must be wrong that suggests an impossibility such as this.

Why do you think it's a impossibility? Any extended object, like a vine, does not have to have a single "age".

butchie said:
I am silly enough to believe that now is now everywhere.

Then you believe something that contradicts relativity. That is not a good strategy.

butchie said:
I suggest the whole concept must be wrong that suggests an impossibility such as this.
Hi butchie, welcome to PF!

Please explain what makes you think this is impossible. To me it is clearly not impossible, so I am not sure what leads you to believe it.

butchie said:
It has been given as proof that time speeds up at higher altitudes because of the decrease in gravitation demonstrated using atomic clocks. If this is true how tall would a vine have to grow to have the tip be older than the stump?

It'll never happen. The effect cannot precede the cause. This is a principle known as causality and there's no law of physics that violates it. I'm not fluent in general relativity so I cannot explain the details. In special relativity the explanation lies in the invariant speed of light. If you signal faster than light there would be frames of reference where the effect would precede the cause. Such a thing is silly.

I've read such authors as Hawking suggesting distortion of time but I am silly enough to believe that now is now everywhere.

I have never known a person to accept the relativity of simultaneity immediately upon hearing of it. (Anyone appearing to do so is not engaged.) Evidence from lots of things besides just atomic clocks tells us that "now everywhere" is just not a valid notion. Moreover, detailed examination of the theories that explain it make it a perfectly plausible notion. There is overwhelming experimental evidence to support it.

No one has come even close to putting forth a theory that preserves absolute simultaneity and accounts for the vast array of experimental evidence in a wide variety of areas from cosmology to electromagnetism to electronics to optics to particle physics, to name just a few.

Mister T said:
It'll never happen. The effect cannot precede the cause.

I don't think the OP is talking about violating causality; he's just talking about the fact that different parts of an object that are at different altitudes in a gravitational field will age at different rates. There's no causality violation in that.

Mister T said:
I have never known a person to accept the relativity of simultaneity immediately upon hearing of it.

I don't think the OP is talking about relativity of simultaneity either. The different rates of aging of objects at different altitudes in a gravitational field are all evaluated relative to a common standard of simultaneity, since the objects are all at rest relative to each other. I think what the OP is struggling with is the counterintuitive fact that objects (or parts of objects) at rest relative to each other, all sharing the same standard of simultaneity, can still age at different rates if they are at different altitudes in a gravitational field. In other words, sharing a standard of simultaneity does not necessarily imply aging at the same rate.

1. What is time distortion at high altitudes?

Time distortion at high altitudes is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at a different rate for individuals at high altitudes compared to those at sea level. This is due to the effects of gravity and the Earth's curvature on the passage of time.

2. How does time distortion occur at high altitudes?

Time distortion occurs at high altitudes due to the concept of time dilation. As an object approaches the speed of light or experiences a strong gravitational force, time slows down for that object. Since individuals at high altitudes experience a weaker gravitational force compared to those at sea level, time appears to pass more quickly for them.

3. Can time distortion at high altitudes be measured?

Yes, time distortion at high altitudes can be measured using precise instruments such as atomic clocks. These clocks are able to detect minuscule differences in the passage of time and have been used in experiments to confirm the effects of time dilation at high altitudes.

4. Does time distortion at high altitudes have any practical implications?

Yes, time distortion at high altitudes has practical implications in fields such as satellite communication and GPS navigation. The effects of time dilation must be taken into account in order for these systems to function accurately at high altitudes.

5. Can time distortion at high altitudes be experienced by humans?

Yes, time distortion at high altitudes can be experienced by humans. However, the effects are very small and would not be noticeable in everyday life. Only when traveling at extremely high speeds or in extremely strong gravitational fields would the effects of time dilation be significant enough to be perceived by humans.