1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A volume of a tetrahedron

1. Apr 30, 2006 #1
    i have the point P(x0,y0,z0) i need to find the minimal volume of a tetrahedron which is constructed by a plane which crosses over point P, and by the axis planes.

i got that the side of the tetrahedron is sqrt[(x-x0)^2+(y-y0)^2+(z-z0)^2], but im not sure it's correct because then the answer is that the volume of the tetrahedron is 0.

your help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The plane that crosses the axes at (a, 0, 0), (0, b, 0), and (0, 0, c) has equation x/a+ y/b+ z/c= 1 (do you see why that's obvious?). What is the volume of that tetrahedron? Of course, to pass through the point (x0,y0,z0), it must also satisfy
    x0/a+ y0/b+ z0/c= 1.

So, minimize that formula for volume of a tetrahedron (in terms of a, b, c) subject to that constraint.

4. May 1, 2006 #3
    can you tell me how did you arrive at the equation?
    cause from what i can remember, you start by constructing vectors from the three points:
    (a,0,-c),(a,-b,0),(0,-b,c) and then you substract them and you get the next parameter equation:
    (0,-b,c)+s(-a,0,c)+t(-a,-b,2c)
    and then multiply by coeffiecient vector (A,B,C), and then plug in (0,-b,c)
    which i get the next equation:
    x/a+y/b+z/c=0 without the 1, where did i get it wrong?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?