1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A volume problem

1. Nov 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    f(x)=kx2+x3, where is k is a positive constant. Let R be the region in the first quadrant bounded by the graph of F and the x-axis.

a. Find all values of the constant k for which the area of R equals 2.
    b. For k>0, write an integral expression in terms of k for the volume of the solid generated when R is rotated around x-axis.
    c. For k>0, write an expression in terms of k, involving one or more integrals, that gives the perimeter of R.

2. Relevant equations
    V= pi *r2

3. The attempt at a solution

a. For a. I find the interception of F(x) and the x-axis. After that, I set up an integral of f(x) evaluating from 0 to k and set that integral equal to 2. Am I right.

b. and c. I don't really get the part of in terms of k. so I just do a normal integration of dish method of f(x) and I substitute the number in part a for k. Am I right ? Or is it trickier ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

Are you sure you have the right formula for f? The formula that you gave, f(x) = kx^2 + x^3, has an intercept at (0, 0) and no others on the positive x-axis. This means that the area in the first quadrant between the graph of f and the x-axis is infinite.

In you attempt to find the answer to part a, why would you have k as a limit of integration? Before going on to parts b and c, make sure that you are giving us the correct information for this problem.
  4. Nov 8, 2008 #3
    I am sorry it's minus not plus.

Because k is a x-intercept ?

Am I right ?
  5. Nov 8, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What's "minus not plus"!

Do you mean it should be y= kx2- x3? In that case y= x2(k- x) so x= 0 is a double root and x= k is a root.

If you rotate the curve, for 0< x< k, around the x-axis each cross section perpendicular to the x-axis is a circle with radius y= kx2- x3. The area of such a circle is [itex]k\pi y^2[/itex].

The perimeter of R consists of two parts: the curve between x= 0 and x= k and the straight line from (0,0) to (k, 0).
  6. Nov 8, 2008 #5
    Can you explain about part b ? Why there is k there ? I got only pi*^2
  7. Nov 9, 2008 #6

In part b, the volume of a typical volume element is
    [tex] \Delta V = \pi y^2 \Delta x[/tex]
    and not [tex]k \pi y^2 [/tex] as Halls said.

[tex] \Delta V = \pi (x^2(k - x))^2 \Delta x[/tex]

So what should the integral look like? (All you need to do is write the integral.)

I took the problem further and calculated the integral, getting:
    [tex] \pi k^7 [\frac{1}{5} - \frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{7}][/tex]
  8. Nov 9, 2008 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have no idea where the k came from! It snuck in while I wasn't looking!
  9. Nov 9, 2008 #8
    what do you guys think the " in term of k" means ? Do I just write a normal integral or is it trickier ?
  10. Nov 9, 2008 #9

"In terms of k" means that when you write the integral expressions, they will involve k, which is unspecified. For parts b and c, you don't actually have to evaluate the integrals--at least that's how I interpret the instructions.
  11. Nov 9, 2008 #10
    So do I substitute the k I found in part a in or just leave it as k ?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?