1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A vs Fnet graph

1. Oct 11, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] a vs Fnet graph

Which unit goes on the y axis? acceleration or Fnet?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2007 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It depends which one your plotting on the y-axis :tongue: (sorry couldn't resist). Generally, your independent variable [the one you are measuring] would go on the y-axis and your dependant variable [the one you are controlling] would go on the x-axis.

4. Oct 11, 2007 #3
    lol So Fnet goes on the y axis because i'm measuring the newtons, right?

5. Oct 11, 2007 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, if you are chaging the acceleration and measuring how this affects the force then F goes on the y-axis.

6. Oct 11, 2007 #5
    See, I'm doing a lab and it asks me to graph a vs Fnet. The lab was measuring how fast a cart is pulled by different weights. And so Fnet was already given (one part of the lab, Fnet was constant, and the other part was not). I'm actually changing the weights that are pulling the cart (Fnet). Thanks for your help :)

7. Oct 12, 2007 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So in your case your controlling the force and measuring the acceleration; so a goes on the y axis and F on the x-axis

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?