Solving Force on Water Tank Bottom on Mars

In summary, the problem involves designing a cylindrical, pressurized water tank for a future colony on Mars, with specific values for gravity, water pressure, water depth, and air pressure. The net downward force on the tank's flat bottom needs to be calculated, taking into account both the forces from the water and air inside the tank and the air outside the tank. The equations used are P=F/A and P=pgh, and the final answer should be in kPA. However, the solution provided did not take into account the opposing forces from the inside and outside pressures, and further adjustments need to be made to get the correct answer.
12boone

Homework Statement

You are assigned the design of a cylindrical, pressurized water tank for a future colony on Mars, where the acceleration due to gravity is 3.71 meters per second per second. The pressure at the surface of the water will be 145 kPa , and the depth of the water will be 14.2m . The pressure of the air in the building outside the tank will be 92.0 kPA. Find the net downward force on the tank's flat bottom, of area 1.80 m2, exerted by the water and air inside the tank and the air outside the tank.

Homework Equations

P=F/A and P=pgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in P=1000(3.71)(14.2m)
Then I used that and converted it to kPA to plug in all the pressures combined to find F in the second equation. (52.7+92.0+145)=F/1.80m^2. I got 522. The answer was wrong. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi 12boone,

12boone said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in P=1000(3.71)(14.2m)
Then I used that and converted it to kPA to plug in all the pressures combined to find F in the second equation. (52.7+92.0+145)=F/1.80m^2. I got 522. The answer was wrong. Help?

You did not mention what the units of your answer of 522 were, so there might be a problem there.

But the more important thing is that you are not taking into account that the force from the inside pressure pushes down, and the force from the outside pressure pushes up. Do you see what needs to be changed in your force equation? What do you get?

I would like to commend you for your attempt at solving this problem. However, there are a few things that need to be addressed in your solution.

Firstly, the equation P=pgh is used to calculate the pressure of a fluid at a certain depth, where p is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the depth. This equation is not applicable in this scenario as we are given the pressures at the surface and not the depth.

Secondly, when calculating the net downward force on the tank's bottom, we need to take into account the pressure of the air both inside and outside the tank. So the correct equation would be P=F/A, where P is the net pressure (difference between the internal and external pressures), F is the net downward force, and A is the area of the tank's bottom.

To solve for F, we can rearrange the equation to F=P*A. Plugging in the given values, we get F=(145-92)*(1.80m^2)=99.9 kN.

Therefore, the net downward force on the tank's bottom is 99.9 kN. This force is exerted by the combined weight of the water and air inside the tank, as well as the air outside the tank. It is important to consider all these factors when designing a pressurized water tank for a future colony on Mars.

1. How does the force on a water tank bottom on Mars differ from Earth?

The force on a water tank bottom on Mars is significantly less than on Earth due to the lower gravity on Mars. Mars has about one-third the gravity of Earth, meaning that objects weigh less and have less force acting on them.

2. What factors affect the force on a water tank bottom on Mars?

The force on a water tank bottom on Mars is affected by the mass of the tank, the amount of water inside the tank, and the gravity of Mars. Additionally, the shape and size of the tank can also impact the force.

3. How do you calculate the force on a water tank bottom on Mars?

The force on a water tank bottom on Mars can be calculated using the formula F = mg, where F is the force, m is the mass of the tank and water, and g is the gravity on Mars. This formula is based on Newton's Second Law of Motion.

4. Is the force on a water tank bottom on Mars constant?

No, the force on a water tank bottom on Mars is not constant. It will vary depending on the amount of water in the tank and the location of the tank on Mars. Additionally, if the tank is moved or the gravity on Mars changes, the force will also change.

5. How can the force on a water tank bottom on Mars be minimized?

To minimize the force on a water tank bottom on Mars, you can reduce the mass of the tank and/or the amount of water inside it. Additionally, placing the tank in a location with lower gravity on Mars can also reduce the force.