1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A wheel going over a bump

1. Nov 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question is as follows:
    How much force should I apply if i want to have a wheel of mass 2kg and radius R to pass over a step with height h, where R is twice as big as h.
    I attached a picture of the problem for reference. wheel over bump.png
    2. Relevant equations
    I am not sure but I think I should be using torque and possibly moment of Inertia to solve this problem.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know how to approach the problem and would really appreciate a nudge in the right direction. Thank you in advance for any and all help!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2014 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Here's a nudge: Torque is the way to go. What will you take as your pivot point for calculating torque?

4. Nov 25, 2014 #3
    The pivot point must be the corner of the step right? But what do I do from there? How can I know that the force is perpendicular if the wheel is spinning over the bump and the angle is changing?

5. Nov 25, 2014 #4

Doc Al

That works.

The applied force is horizontal, per the diagram. What other forces act to create a torque about the pivot?

6. Nov 25, 2014 #5
    the force of gravity also works to create a torque about the pivot. The moment of inertia works against the angular acceleration of the wheel. Do I have to account for both of these things in the torque equation?

7. Nov 25, 2014 #6

Doc Al

Good. In what direction is the torque due to gravity? The applied force must at least balance that torque in order to lift up the wheel.

No, forget about angular acceleration. Just consider torque. You are looking for the minimum applied force to just barely lift the thing over the bump.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted