What force is needed to lift a wheel over a bump with given mass and radius?

In summary, the problem involves calculating the minimum applied force needed to lift a wheel with a mass of 2kg and radius R over a step with height h, where R is twice as big as h. The approach is to use torque, with the pivot point being the corner of the step. The force of gravity also creates a torque, but the applied force must at least balance that torque in order to lift the wheel. The moment of inertia does not need to be considered for this problem.
Julia123

Homework Statement

The question is as follows:
How much force should I apply if i want to have a wheel of mass 2kg and radius R to pass over a step with height h, where R is twice as big as h.
I attached a picture of the problem for reference.
wheel over bump.png

Homework Equations

I am not sure but I think I should be using torque and possibly moment of Inertia to solve this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to approach the problem and would really appreciate a nudge in the right direction. Thank you in advance for any and all help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a nudge: Torque is the way to go. What will you take as your pivot point for calculating torque?

The pivot point must be the corner of the step right? But what do I do from there? How can I know that the force is perpendicular if the wheel is spinning over the bump and the angle is changing?

Julia123 said:
The pivot point must be the corner of the step right?
That works.

Julia123 said:
How can I know that the force is perpendicular if the wheel is spinning over the bump and the angle is changing?
The applied force is horizontal, per the diagram. What other forces act to create a torque about the pivot?

the force of gravity also works to create a torque about the pivot. The moment of inertia works against the angular acceleration of the wheel. Do I have to account for both of these things in the torque equation?

Julia123 said:
the force of gravity also works to create a torque about the pivot.
Good. In what direction is the torque due to gravity? The applied force must at least balance that torque in order to lift up the wheel.

Julia123 said:
The moment of inertia works against the angular acceleration of the wheel. Do I have to account for both of these things in the torque equation?
No, forget about angular acceleration. Just consider torque. You are looking for the minimum applied force to just barely lift the thing over the bump.

1. How does a wheel go over a bump?

When a wheel encounters a bump, it first compresses the suspension system, which absorbs the impact and reduces the force transmitted to the wheel. Then, the wheel rolls over the bump, with the tire deforming to maintain contact with the ground. Once the bump is passed, the suspension system rebounds, returning the wheel to its original position.

2. What factors affect the way a wheel goes over a bump?

The size and shape of the bump, the speed of the vehicle, the weight of the vehicle, and the design of the suspension system all play a role in how a wheel goes over a bump. Tire pressure and tread depth can also affect the performance of the wheel over a bump.

3. Can a wheel lose contact with the ground when going over a bump?

Yes, if the bump is big enough or if the vehicle is traveling at a high speed, the wheel can lose contact with the ground. This is known as "bump hop" and can result in loss of control of the vehicle. This is why properly designed suspension systems are important to maintain control and stability when going over bumps.

4. How can a wheel going over a bump affect the vehicle's handling?

A wheel encountering a bump can cause the vehicle to temporarily lose traction or experience jolts and vibrations. This can affect the steering and stability of the vehicle, making it harder to control. In extreme cases, it can even cause the vehicle to become airborne or flip over.

5. Is there a way to minimize the impact of a wheel going over a bump?

Yes, a well-designed suspension system and properly inflated tires can help to minimize the impact of a wheel going over a bump. Additionally, driving at an appropriate speed and avoiding large bumps can also reduce the impact on the vehicle. Regular maintenance and repairs to the suspension system can also help to ensure it is functioning properly.