What Determines True Statements About Wheel Motion?

In summary, a wheel motion problem refers to any issue or difficulty related to the movement or rotation of a wheel. This can include problems with alignment, balance, or traction, as well as issues with the mechanical components of the wheel itself. Such problems can be caused by various factors, such as wear and tear, improper maintenance, or external forces. Proper diagnosis and timely resolution of wheel motion problems are crucial in ensuring the safe and efficient functioning of vehicles and other equipment that rely on wheels for movement.
gcombina
Which statement concerning a wheel undergoing rolling motion is true
(a) The angular acceleration of the wheel must be zero m/s2.
(b) The tangential velocity is the same for all points on the wheel.
(c) The linear velocity for all points on the rim of the wheel is non-zero.
(d) The tangential velocity is the same for all points on the rim of the wheel.
(e) There is no slipping at the point where the wheel touches the surface on which it is rolling

this is my attempt

a) IDK = I don't know cause I don't know if this wheel is at a constant velocity, should I assume this wheel is going at a constant velocity?
b) IDK = I don't know cause I don't know if this wheel is at a constant velocity, should I assume this wheel is going at a constant velocity?
c) NO = linear velocity should be at some number at each point
d) YES = I think the tangential velocity is the same assuming this wheel is at constant velocity
e) No - there has to be slipping right? common sense RIGHT?

I guess I first need to know if this wheel is going at a constant velocity, am i totally out there?

Physics news on Phys.org
gcombina said:
(e) There is no slipping at the point where the wheel touches the surface on which it is rolling

this is my attempt

a) IDK = I don't know cause I don't know if this wheel is at a constant velocity, should I assume this wheel is going at a constant velocity?
b) IDK = I don't know cause I don't know if this wheel is at a constant velocity, should I assume this wheel is going at a constant velocity?
d) YES = I think the tangential velocity is the same assuming this wheel is at constant velocity

I guess I first need to know if this wheel is going at a constant velocity, am i totally out there?

Your answer is correct. They on purpose didn't say if it was accelerating or slipping, so that eliminates some of the choices. The others are just false, even for non-accelerating rolling motion.

gcombina said:

this is my attempt

Answering IDK to (a) is wrong. The statement is that it "must be zero". If there is any situation in which it is not zero then the statement is false.
For (b), your reason for saying IDK is wrong. The question refers to velocity at some instant. This will not be affected by whether it is accelerating. (I'm not saying, at this point, whether the statement is true, false, or indeterminate.)
Similarly, I don't understand your reasoning in (c). In fact, the reason you offer suggests you would answer True.
Again, in (d), the answer is not dependent on velocity being constant.
For (e), it does say rolling motion. Rolling is rolling, i.e. NOT slipping, by definition. Why do you think it must be slipping?

Thanks for the clarifications haruspex! I only meant that his answer to d) was correct.

I can provide a more precise and accurate response to the statements above.

(a) The angular acceleration of the wheel can be zero if the wheel is rolling at a constant velocity. However, if the wheel is accelerating or decelerating, then the angular acceleration will not be zero.
(b) The tangential velocity is the same for all points on the wheel if the wheel is rolling at a constant velocity. However, if the wheel is accelerating or decelerating, then the tangential velocity will vary at different points on the wheel.
(c) The linear velocity for all points on the rim of the wheel is non-zero if the wheel is rolling at a constant velocity. However, if the wheel is at rest or accelerating/decelerating, then the linear velocity will also be zero or vary at different points on the wheel.
(d) Yes, the tangential velocity is the same for all points on the rim of the wheel if the wheel is rolling at a constant velocity. This is because all points on the rim are moving at the same speed.
(e) No, there may be slipping at the point where the wheel touches the surface on which it is rolling. This depends on the coefficient of friction between the wheel and the surface, as well as the speed and acceleration of the wheel. In some cases, there may be no slipping, but in others, there may be some slipping present.

1. What is a wheel motion problem?

A wheel motion problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the motion of a wheel or circular object. This can include determining its speed, acceleration, and trajectory.

2. What causes a wheel to move?

A wheel moves due to the forces acting upon it, such as friction and torque. When a force is applied to a wheel, it creates a torque which causes the wheel to rotate and move.

3. How do you calculate the speed of a wheel?

The speed of a wheel can be calculated by dividing the distance it travels by the time it takes to travel that distance. This is known as average speed. Instantaneous speed can also be calculated by finding the derivative of the wheel's position over time.

4. What is the difference between linear and angular motion?

Linear motion refers to the movement of an object along a straight line, while angular motion refers to the rotation of an object around a fixed point. In a wheel motion problem, both linear and angular motion are often involved.

5. How can a wheel motion problem be applied in real life?

Wheel motion problems can be applied in many real-life situations, such as calculating the speed of a car's tires, determining the trajectory of a thrown discus, or analyzing the motion of a bicycle wheel. They are also important in designing and optimizing machines that involve rotating parts, such as engines and turbines.