Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A wikipedia article on yourself!

1. Jun 1, 2009 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You know what I'm wondering? That's right, donuts.

But seriously, can you make a wikipedia article about yourself? I was bored and decided I'd start wikipedia'ing my professors. Of course, none of them are noteworthy :rofl: so i just started wikipedia'ing names I know to see if anyone coincadently has a name that is noteworthy. That got me to thinking, can you simply make an article on yourself? It'd be like your own mini-biography!

OH MY GOD WHAT A GREAT IDEA FOR A SITE! A site where everyone writes a wikipedia article for their own life.... man, that would be awesome, no one would abuse the free editing or anything! It would be perfect. I'll make Ivan's biography first. Kidnapped by aliens as a child and apparently lives with many wild animals. Fought for Swiss army in WW3.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2009 #2
    You can't. It's part of their rules and regulations, so that we don't have a Wikipedia article about the 6.5 billion people that dwell on this earth.

4. Jun 1, 2009 #3
    Nope. One, you can't make one about yourself. Two, if you aren't important enough, if someone else makes one about you, it'll be taken down.

5. Jun 1, 2009 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Party poopers. Though, the only way for anyone to notice that you'd written an article about yourself would be if they were also searching for your name and found your article and reported it. And, wouldn't that mean you were important enough for someone to look you up?

6. Jun 1, 2009 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

So all PFers should go make an article on themselves, and report back how long it takes to get them taken down!

7. Jun 1, 2009 #6
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. Jun 1, 2009 #7
    There's no rule against making a page for yourself provided that you meet the guidelines

But Wikiedpia is a not a directory of people

9. Jun 1, 2009 #8
    They can find a list of newly formed articles. I think it's so that there are no articles on "dsjfkljlewadnsfgewa" (random string of characters). There's some way that they protect against that...

10. Jun 1, 2009 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

11. Jun 2, 2009 #10
    The article wouldn't survive for very long. Roughly half of all new pages are deleted within a few days.

There are kids who spend 14 hours a day browsing through articles looking for ones to delete. Hundreds, maybe thousands of kids like this. It's like an RPG game to them. The social system at wikipedia actually promotes this sort of activity, it's kind of depressing.

12. Jun 2, 2009 #11
    I couldn't even make it into jimmysnyderpedia.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Snyder" [Broken]

13. Jun 2, 2009 #12
    80*360 journals can be more than a biography.

I think biographies fail the capture the tiny details of a every single day and perspective of life from each year/day of the life.

While other micro blogging sites provide future/present details.

I don't write journals or post everything I do currently but it's always interesting to find something I wrote 10-5-2 years ago.

14. Jun 2, 2009 #13

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook