Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A wired house, consumes less electricity?

1. Nov 10, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

A wired house, consumes less electricity!

I have an awesome idea... possibly the greatest idea man kind has ever had in the history of the universe.... greater then Einstein's E=mc^2... greater then the McRib... greater then sliced bread....

Ok i hope i didn't overhype my idea, but here goes!

What if you could wire up an entire house's lighting system? Just the ceiling and wall lights (since lamps couldn't really be part of this system) and outdoor lights all rigged to panels upstairs and downstairs. It would be great if I could walk upstairs, wonder if i turned all the lights out, and just check a panel! Plus its great for saving energy, the panel probably wouldn't take more then a few watts of power since all you could need is an LED for each light. With this, you'll never have to worry about having a ceiling light on downstairs taking 50-200watts of power (even with CF our ceiling lights still take up 45 watts each). I'm sure this is possible because we have a light that has 2 switches (one upstairs, one downstairs, its a staircase light) and that could easily be converted into a microchip type setup. Doesn't this sound awesome :D I should be an inventor/genius!

Penguin Power!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2005 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Nov 10, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

But can those tell you if your light is on? I love that store :D I never buy anything though....

5. Nov 10, 2005 #4
    I think that things of this sort do exist. They are usually built into nicer homes.

6. Nov 10, 2005 #5
    I think I'd rather pay the expense of leaving a light on downstairs every once in a while than pay to have my house rewired.

7. Nov 10, 2005 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Smart homes went high tech long ago. You can have as much as you are willing to pay. :biggrin:

8. Nov 10, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What kind of environmentalator are you :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy:

9. Nov 10, 2005 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Time to calculate how much money one would lose in CA if they accidently left... 6 lights on a night (probably what we do every night).

Hmm, $.10 a night with CF bulbs

10. Nov 10, 2005 #9
    the kind who is sitting here online, tv on and every single light in the house blazing brightly.
    the kind who replaces those wimpy 40watt bulbs with 100s.
    the kind who drives down the road with the ac on and the windows down.
    the kind who doesn't recycle because it is too much work to remember which color garbage can my pop cans go into

11. Nov 10, 2005 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you check the link you will see that its all X10 and other wireless technologies now. We use this for security and other functions here at our home. You can control lights and other appliances for a few dollars per device. Even the wireless cameras are cheap.

12. Nov 10, 2005 #11
    x10 gives you brain tumors

13. Nov 10, 2005 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You're giving me a brain tumor :grumpy:

14. Nov 10, 2005 #13
    okay so it doesn't give you a tumor. it does make your testicles sore though

15. Nov 11, 2005 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

it sure does

16. Nov 11, 2005 #15
    Id rather have the tumor

17. Nov 11, 2005 #16
    Compact fluorescents vs efficient lights

Compact fluorescent lights are not very efficient. Try T5 and Super T8.

google.com/search?q=%22super+t8%22+efficient

18. Nov 11, 2005 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

19. Nov 11, 2005 #18
    you do when you are there

20. Nov 11, 2005 #19
  21. Nov 11, 2005 #20

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I'm not buying until they have a bulb-setup. I'm still waiting for CF's to start mass-producing the bulb-enclosed type. I know Ikea sells some but id burn down a store before i bought from one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?