How to Get Wolf, Goat, and Cabbage to Island B?

• Thread starter balrog
  • Start date
In summary, the three men each paid $9.00 for the night at the motel, and the desk clerk was supposed to charge them $25.00. The manager came over and told the desk clerk that he overcharged the men, so the desk clerk gave the bellboy $5.00 and told him to give it to the men. However, the bellboy decided to cheat the men and pocketed $2.00, giving each of the men only one dollar. Now each man has paid $27.00, and the bellboy has pocketed $2.00.
balrog
You're on "island A" with a wolf, a goat and cabbage... you're trying to get the wolf, the goat, and the cabbage to "island B" you have a small boat that can only fit one thing on it, a wolf, a goat, or the cabbage... you can take as many trips as you want to try to get all of them to the other island... but there's a catch... if you leave the wolf alone with the goat the goat will get eaten... if you leave the goat alone with the cabbage then the cabbage gets eaten... How can you get the wolf, the goat and the cabbage to island B?

Physics news on Phys.org
Code:
G--->
<---
C--->
<---G
W--->
<---
G--->

okay... that's correct...

Right, you see kiddies you are locked in boxes. Do you really think the goat or the wolf will just get into the boat with you or the wolf. How about you use the oars as partial floatation, luring the goat onto the boat the cabbage is the only food of for the goat and the goat is hungry so the goat gets into the boat, but the cabbage is tied off the side using the boats tow rope with which you pull by swimming. The wolf only has one thing to eat and is hungry so he will swim after the goat.

I would like you to get into the boat with a hungry wolf while you are rowing?

You left your childhood behind, find it again.

why would it matter..once all three get to island b they are going to eat each other any way...might as well leave them behind and row to safety

This problem was just too ez, I need a real challenge.

balrog said:
You're on "island A" with a wolf, a goat and cabbage... you're trying to get the wolf, the goat, and the cabbage to "island B" you have a small boat that can only fit one thing on it, a wolf, a goat, or the cabbage... you can take as many trips as you want to try to get all of them to the other island... but there's a catch... if you leave the wolf alone with the goat the goat will get eaten... if you leave the goat alone with the cabbage then the cabbage gets eaten... How can you get the wolf, the goat and the cabbage to island B?

You try to think about it...but you're getting distracted by the continual noises of growling, bleating, violent struggling and finally feasting, that seem to be coming from somewhere behind you...

LOL can you imagine actually having to face that problem ...being stuck on an island with a wolf a goat and a cabbage..and then feeling really dumb that we made fun of the problem instead of actually thinking of a solution...nope? just me then..

nix, TENYEARS, how about
a problem from each of you?

I know Gokul43201 and Theelectricchild have
already

I accept your challenge!

1) Three men go to a motel, and the desk clerk charges them a sum of $30.00 for the night (really cheap, i know). The three of them split the cost ten dollars each. Later the manager comes over and tells the desk clerk that he overcharged the men, since the actual cost should have been $25.00. The manager gives the bellboy $5.00 and tells him to give it to the men. The bellboy, however, decides to cheat the men and pockets $2.00, giving each of the men only one dollar.

Now each man has paid $9.00 to stay for the night, and 3 x $9.00 = $27.00. The bellboy has pocketed $2.00. But $27.00 + $2.00 = $29.00. Where is the missing $1.00?

2)At a fork in the road between two cities, you see 2 people. One always tells the truth, and comes from the city of safety. The other person always lies and comes from the city of cannibals, where they will eat you. They both look exactly the same. You must choose one of the persons, and ask him one and only one question (no compound questions either, such as "is this shirt red and which way to safety?"). What question could you ask to find out which path leads to the city of safety?

ok full solutions and i know these questions are pretty ridiculous too..who gets a room in a hotel for $25 or comes to a fork in the road btw a cannibal city and a safe city and gets only one question?? o well ..have fun :wink:

Nix, both these questions have been asked (and answered) here before.

It's not easy to come up with NEW stuff.

nix said:
I accept your challenge!

1) Three men go to a motel, and the desk clerk charges them a sum of $30.00 for the night (really cheap, i know). The three of them split the cost ten dollars each. Later the manager comes over and tells the desk clerk that he overcharged the men, since the actual cost should have been $25.00. The manager gives the bellboy $5.00 and tells him to give it to the men. The bellboy, however, decides to cheat the men and pockets $2.00, giving each of the men only one dollar.

Now each man has paid $9.00 to stay for the night, and 3 x $9.00 = $27.00. The bellboy has pocketed $2.00. But $27.00 + $2.00 = $29.00. Where is the missing $1.00?

Nix, thanks for contributing some puzzles, I did not read this whole forum so i don't know what is new or not new. I personally did not see these before on PF, tho they could have been.
I think each man has paid 9 to stay the night and of that 27 that they paid the bellboy has pocketed 2, so that leaves 25 which went to the manager.
In such a cheap motel there would also be a call-girl named Dolores who will do wonderful things for 25 dollars and the manager probably gave the 25 dollars to Dolores---so now everything is accounted for.

this business about the cannibals is more subtle. I will think about it and get back to you. Or perhaps someone else will come up with a solution.

The cannibals one? Ask them what the other would say (on how to get to the safe city)! That would always be a lie, so you know how to get to the safe city.

I liked Njorl's answer to the cannibal truther/liar question, the last time it came up. I am taking the liberty of quoting him here :

You ask, while imitating Sam Jackson, "Which way to City A. If you're lying to me, I'm going to come back and kick you're ass. I don't give a damn about no logic puzzles! What kinda jackass brothers always lie while the other tells the truth! DON'T ANSWER THAT! It was rhetorical. Don't they teach you rhetoric in logic puzzle land, you lamea** m***** f*****!"

Njorl

sorry Gokul43201 i didnt realize that these questions had been asked or answered before and i know they arent original i just didnt know the answers so i asked..

Capn' Refsmmat, you are only allowed to ask one of them one question, so if you asked how to get to the safe city both would point in different directions...so you can't be sure which one is the truth teller

Ok I am joining in.

Here is a random question for you all. Gokul43201 and Njorl it is better and I know the answer.

A scout has a big inspection tomorrow and needs to look his best. His uniform is perfect and his mind is working well for question from the leaders. Unfortunately he has got permanent pen on his arm were the scout uniform does not cover it over.

His mother comes up with an idea to get rid/disgiuse of it.

What does she do? (think simple and logically)

It is very simple but here it is anyway.

The Bob (2004 ©)

If you are going to answer mine please go to my 'Scouts' thread to do it please.

The Bob (2004 ©)

1. What is the "A wolf, a goat and cabbage" problem?

The "A wolf, a goat and cabbage" problem is a classic puzzle in which a farmer must transport a wolf, a goat, and a cabbage across a river using a small boat. The challenge is that the farmer can only take one item at a time, and must never leave the wolf alone with the goat or the goat alone with the cabbage.

2. What is the purpose of the "A wolf, a goat and cabbage" problem?

The "A wolf, a goat and cabbage" problem is often used as an example of a problem that requires logical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also serves as a metaphor for real-life situations where multiple elements must be carefully managed and balanced.

3. How can the "A wolf, a goat and cabbage" problem be solved?

The problem can be solved by following a specific sequence of steps. First, the farmer must take the goat across the river, leaving the wolf and the cabbage on the original side. Then, the farmer must go back and take the wolf across, but bring the goat back with them. Next, the farmer takes the cabbage across, and finally, goes back to get the goat one last time.

4. Are there any variations of the "A wolf, a goat and cabbage" problem?

Yes, there are several variations of the problem that involve different animals or objects that must be transported across the river while following the same rules. Some variations may have additional constraints, such as a limited number of boat trips or specific order of items that must be transported.

5. How is the "A wolf, a goat and cabbage" problem relevant to science?

The "A wolf, a goat and cabbage" problem can be seen as a simplified version of real-world problems in scientific research, where multiple factors must be taken into account and carefully managed. It also highlights the importance of logical thinking and problem-solving skills in the scientific process.