Discovering "ignoranus": An Idiosyncratic Word

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
In summary, the word ignoranus is a person who is both ignorant and an (figure it out)hole. The word was coined by my husband and it means a BS-er.
honestrosewater
Gold Member
I just had to share this new (to me) word with you guys, brought to my attention by Langauge Log (there's a questionable word in it, so I won't link directly to the entry of October 22, 2005, English the most idiosyncratic and wordy?).

ignoranus

One entry found for ignoranus.
Main Entry: ig·no·ra·nus
Pronunciation: "ig-n&-'rA-n&s also -'ra-
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -nus·es also ig·no·ra·ni /-nE/
Etymology: http://www.langmaker.com/db/eng_ignoranus.htm -- more at IGNORAMUS

: a person who is both ignorant and an [figure it out]hole.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't know that word, I feel like such an imbuttcile.

Or bloviator. A BS-er, or one who speaks or writes at length in a pompous manner.

I'm tired of your damn bloviation tribdog, you're such a ****ing ignoranus!

Last edited:
stop and look down at the area around your feet before you jump. Make sure that's where you want to be.

My husband coined the term 'vurp', after a work breakfast the other day, then, in a flurry of creativity, the 'vough', the 'fough' and the 'faugh' followed. He thinks there are many more waiting to be discovered/invented.

fi said:
My husband coined the term 'vurp', after a work breakfast the other day, then, in a flurry of creativity, the 'vough', the 'fough' and the 'faugh' followed. He thinks there are many more waiting to be discovered/invented.
Your husband is a precious one he is.

Piscreant: an wrong-doer who frequently wets themselves.
Hidiot: one who is as ugly as they are stupid.
Stickybutterfingers: a clumsy lesbian.
Reotard: a stupid gymnast.
Dullardass: one who is as fat as they are stupid.
Icliterate: one who can find neither the words to say or a woman's love button.
Moron_damon: a stupid PFer.

El Homobre- el Hombre

A friend of mine came up with the word shload. It's more of a contraction though so it should more properly be written/typed sh'load.

1. What does the word "ignoranus" mean?

The word "ignoranus" is a portmanteau of the words "ignoramus" and "anus" and is used to describe someone who is both stupid and an asshole. It is a slang term and is not found in standard dictionaries.

2. How did the word "ignoranus" come about?

The word "ignoranus" was coined by comedian Lewis Black in the early 2000s. He used it in his stand-up routine and it gained popularity over time. Some people believe it may have been originally used in the 1997 film "Office Space", but this has not been confirmed.

3. Is it appropriate to use the word "ignoranus"?

As a scientist, I cannot make judgments on the appropriateness of language. However, it is generally considered a vulgar and offensive word, so it should be used with caution and discretion.

4. How can "ignoranus" be used in a sentence?

One example of using "ignoranus" in a sentence is: "My boss is such an ignoranus, he doesn't even know how to turn on a computer." It can also be used as a noun, for example: "He's a real ignoranus." Please note that this word should not be used in professional or formal settings.

5. Are there any other similar words to "ignoranus"?

Yes, there are other similar words that combine "ignorant" and a vulgar term, such as "ignoramuscle" and "ignorantwit". However, these words are not as commonly used as "ignoranus".