1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A A x ds = v x dv or a • ds = v • dv?

1. Jul 30, 2018 #1
    I have this question for 3D curvilinear motion of particles. I know that the relation ads = vdv is commonly used in rectilinear physics, but what about in 3D curvilinear motion?

Would it be a x ds = v x dv or a • ds = v • dv for describing curvilinear motion?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2018 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It will be the latter - a dot product. Consider uniform circular motion, in which the acceleration is always perpendicular to the velocity. ds will be zero because the speed is constant, but dv will not, as the velocity is changing direction. So the simple multiplicative equality will not hold because the LHS is zero but the RHS is not. But the dot product equality will hold, as both sides will be zero (because dv is perpendicular to v).

4. Jul 30, 2018 #3
    Hi sir, I was wondering why ds would be zero? Wouldn't a particle in circular motion have some sort of change in displacement over time? (e.g at 90° or so)

5. Jul 30, 2018 #4

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ah, I was interpreting your s as meaning 'speed' (=|v|) but based on your response, I see you mean it to refer to displacement.

In that case the equation has to be a dot product, not a multiplication, as one cannot multiply vectors. We have an equation for each of the three dimensions:

\begin{align}
    a_1\,ds_1 &= v_1\,dv_1\\
    a_2\,ds_2 &= v_2\,dv_2\\
    a_3\,ds_3 &= v_3\,dv_3
    \end{align}

Adding them together, we can represent this as:
    $$\vec a\cdot \vec {ds} = \vec v\cdot \vec {dv}$$

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted