1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A yo-yo pulled by a rope: limit angle for the yo-yo to go to the left or to the right

1. Jan 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have a yo-yo, formed by a little cylinder tied to a little rope, and two big disks as wheels, one for each side of the central cylinder. We do a force T on the rope; its slope is an angle θ over the horizontal x-axis.
    We are given the mass m of the cylinder, the mass M of each wheel, the radius of the cylinder R1 and the radius of each wheel R2. We want to know the limit angle θ , for the acceleration to be positive or negative.
    I try to explain it better: under a certain angle, the yo-yo have a pure roll in the positive direction, over this angle it goes "back" and rolls towards the negative direction.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I put in all the forces, the weight $mg$, the reaction $N$, and the friction force (static, since it's roling) towards the left side.
    My equations are:
    T*sinθ + N = m*g
    T*cosθ - f[itex]_{s}[/itex] = m*a[itex]_{cm}[/itex]
    f[itex]_{s}[/itex]*R2 - T*R1 = I[itex]_{G}[/itex]*α = I[itex]_{G}[/itex] * a[itex]_{cm}[/itex] / R2

But I'm always obtaining a non-sense answer solving the system, I guess I'm doing wrong something about the signes. Can someone help me?
    Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2012 #2

lightgrav

Homework Helper

Re: A yo-yo pulled by a rope: limit angle for the yo-yo to go to the left or to the r

when it rolls, its rotation is around the point where it contacts the ground.
    If the torque around this point is zero, it does not roll (alpha = 0).

4. Jan 18, 2012 #3
    Re: A yo-yo pulled by a rope: limit angle for the yo-yo to go to the left or to the r

Thank you very much| Now I got it :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook