Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A you a genius?

1. Jun 30, 2007 #1
    ARE you a genius*** :- )

What do you think gives a person special mental abilities? (IQ of 149+) Is it all genetics or just your environment, or a combination of the two? Do you think the IQ test really measures your mental ability? Or is there other factors that the IQ test doesn't take into consideration such as creativity and so on.

OR maybe genius is just a state of mind that we all can achieve.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2007 #2
    Genius is the ability to elude innate human stupidity, at least in my opinion.
  4. Jun 30, 2007 #3

Gold Member

Good analogy. Creativity and imagination can trump craftsmanship and the "grind" of the trails fostered by a lack of epistemology.
  5. Jun 30, 2007 #4
    I like to think that. I have an outsanding memory. Learn advanced mathematics on my own. I can pass my exams in 1/3 the given time.
  6. Jun 30, 2007 #5

Gold Member

IQ tests are inaccurate.
    I like Werg22's definition of genius. And last time I checked, finishing [and passing] an exam in less than half the time is not grounds for being a genius.
  7. Jun 30, 2007 #6
    first sign you're not a genius? thinking you're a genius
  8. Jun 30, 2007 #7
    I don't know about this. Some true geniuses are very well conscious that they are geniuses.
  9. Jun 30, 2007 #8
    History has it that Gauss was a little of a show off. He was proud to have been the greatest mathematician of his time. I am well sure that he knew he was the genius par excellence.

Same thing with Galois.

Just because a quotation sounds nice does not mean it is correct (adapted from Voltaire).
  10. Jun 30, 2007 #9
    But Galois died at 20 in a duel fight because he probably was too confident.
  11. Jun 30, 2007 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Being a show off does not mean that you think you're a genius, it just means you're arrogant. However, there's nothing wrong with a bit of arrogance in my opinion.
  12. Jun 30, 2007 #11
    Who cares if you are a genius or not if you do not use your talents for the betterment of mankind.
    Being smart doesn't really differentiate you from anyone else. In my personal experience, achievement isn't obtained from being smarter than everyone else. It is obtained through determination and perseverance.
    Genius is a state of mind we can all achieve.
  13. Jun 30, 2007 #12
    It almost takes one to know one. How often have you heard someone say "so and so is a genius", about someone who is simply educated or slightly smarter than average? It happens quite often.
  14. Jul 1, 2007 #13
    Well... I can draw a perfect circle with just a pencil, if that counts for anything. =P
  15. Jul 1, 2007 #14
    there are many things wrong with being arrogant, not the least of which is that there will always be someone who you should be humbled by.
  16. Jul 1, 2007 #15

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps more aptly: "...telling others that you're a genius."

If you have genius, it will show. If you have to tell other people that you are a genius, then it's not showing.
  17. Jul 1, 2007 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cool - you should go up against this guy:
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  18. Jul 1, 2007 #17

Gold Member

Geniuses eat cold food and wear slip on shoes:tongue2:
  19. Jul 1, 2007 #18
  20. Jul 1, 2007 #19
    lmao that's hilarious. i can't believe people take that seriously.:rofl:
  21. Jul 1, 2007 #20
    I wonder how the judge this freehand circle competition.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?