1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A zero column while solving

1. Jun 11, 2008 #1
    Hello, just started a LA course, and I have a small question.

If I get a zero column while solving for a system of linear equations, and that column corresponds to, say, variable x_{5}, do we just not include it in the solution set since it appears in no equation of the system? Or is it a free variable (that has no purpose)?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2008 #2

Vid

That depends on what kind of system you have. If it's a homogeneous system (Ax = 0) then you just have 0=0, and x_5 is indeed just a free variable. However, if you have an inhomogeneous (Ax= b) then you have a possibility that 0=b_5 and b_5 =\=0. In this case, you have an obviously false statement, and the system has no solutions.

4. Jun 11, 2008 #3
    Thanks. We still haven't discussed homogeneity. I don't see, though, how you get 0=0. I have a 2 x 3 system of linear equations and I eventually get this (through Gauss-Jordan),

[tex]x_1 + 3x_4 - x_5 -x_6 = 32[/tex]
    [tex]x_2 +2x_4 -x_5 = 28[/tex]

x_3 is missing in both equations, hence the zero column that I mention before appearing in the matrix. Do I still have to test homogeneity to determine the solution set here?

5. Jun 11, 2008 #4

Vid

In this case, x_3 is just a free variable. Since you only have 2 equations, neither of which gave 0=0 then your system does have a solution(infinitely many solutions in fact). x_3 would still be included in the solution set as a free variable just like x_4-x_6. It just turns out that nothing depends on the value of x_3.

6. Jun 11, 2008 #5
    Thanks, Vid. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?