Coursework Help: Electrical Resistance of Brick Changes with Temperature

In summary, the conversation is about producing a coursework on the electrical resistance of a house brick and how it changes with temperature. The speaker is looking for a value for the resistivity of a brick and a method of fixing wires to it in order to measure its resistance using a digital amp meter. The challenges mentioned include finding a value for resistivity, considering the resistance in connecting wires, and finding a method that can withstand temperatures of up to 800 degrees Celsius. The conversation also includes a discussion of using conductive paint to connect wires to the brick.
gazchatterton2003
I currently have to produce a piece of coursework on the electrical resistance of a house brick and how it changes with temperature i was wondering if anyone could help me with certain aspects of it

Does anyone know a value for the resistivity of a brick preferably with a quoted source. Also I am in need of a method of fixing to wires to a brick so i can measure the bricks resistance using an digital amp metre bearing in mind that in this method will have to with stand temperatures of up to 800 degrees c in a kiln

thanks in advance gaz :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
gazchatterton2003 said:
I currently have to produce a piece of coursework on the electrical resistance of a house brick and how it changes with temperature i was wondering if anyone could help me with certain aspects of it

Does anyone know a value for the resistivity of a brick preferably with a quoted source. Also I am in need of a method of fixing to wires to a brick so i can measure the bricks resistance using an digital amp metre bearing in mind that in this method will have to with stand temperatures of up to 800 degrees c in a kiln

thanks in advance gaz :smile:

hey I am doing same planning exercise OCR right

i don't think you need the restivity of the brick, you just have to measure the p.d across the brick and the current at each different temp to find the resistance, hence you don't needs its restivity.

fixing wires to a brick I am still not sure,

plus you have got to take into account there's going to be resistance in the connecting wires that connect to the brick because i wod assume they will be heated as well within the temperature range

Stalybridge as in Manchester Stalybridge?

Yes

brewnog said:
Stalybridge as in Manchester Stalybridge?

yer i live in stalybridge

westerman16 said:
hey I am doing same planning exercise OCR right

i don't think you need the restivity of the brick, you just have to measure the p.d across the brick and the current at each different temp to find the resistance, hence you don't needs its restivity.

fixing wires to a brick I am still not sure,

plus you have got to take into account there's going to be resistance in the connecting wires that connect to the brick because i wod assume they will be heated as well within the temperature range

yup I am doing ocr planning exercise

im doing the the same plan and i know that you can connect wires to the brick with something called conductive paint

jkl34 said:
im doing the the same plan and i know that you can connect wires to the brick with something called conductive paint

is that going be withstand the temperature at 800 degrees?

:rofl:

mmm...im doing the same exercise. VERY stumped

1. What is the purpose of studying the electrical resistance of brick?

The purpose of studying the electrical resistance of brick is to understand how its resistance changes with temperature. This can help in predicting the behavior of electrical equipment and systems that use brick as a building material, as well as in designing more efficient and reliable systems.

2. How does the electrical resistance of brick change with temperature?

The electrical resistance of brick increases with an increase in temperature. This is because the heat energy causes the molecules in the brick to vibrate more and impede the flow of electrons, resulting in higher resistance.

3. What factors can affect the electrical resistance of brick?

The electrical resistance of brick can be affected by various factors, including the type of brick, its composition, moisture content, and temperature. Other factors such as the shape and size of the brick, as well as the type of electrical current passing through it, can also impact its resistance.

4. How is the electrical resistance of brick measured?

The electrical resistance of brick is measured using a device called an ohmmeter, which applies a known voltage to the brick and measures the resulting current. The resistance is then calculated using Ohm's law, which states that resistance is equal to voltage divided by current.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding the electrical resistance of brick?

Understanding the electrical resistance of brick has several practical applications. It can help in the design and maintenance of electrical systems that use brick as a building material, as well as in predicting the performance of these systems under different temperature conditions. It can also be useful in identifying potential issues or hazards in these systems and in developing effective solutions to address them.