ASTM A1011 CS Type B Steel: Yield Strength & Properties

In summary, the design project requires the use of sheet metal with ASTM A1011 CS Type B steels, which have a yield strength between 30 - 50 ksi. However, it is concerning that suppliers are not required to ensure consistent physical properties, leading to potential discrepancies in mechanical properties. The proposed solution is to assume a conservative yield strength of 30 ksi and potentially seek third party testing for other necessary mechanical properties. Additionally, the elastic modulus for all steels is generally the same.
Satonam
I'm currently working on a design project which requires using sheet metal with ASTM A1011 CS Type B steels. Reading their latest designation for this type of steel, it is shown that the yield strength varies between 30 - 50 ksi. [1] Maybe it's just because I'm new and naive, but I find this variation very alarming considering that our current manufacturer can't provide the mechanical properties of the steels they use in our products. According to Alro Steel, suppliers of this type of sheet metal are only required to meet chemical standards but ensuring consistent physical properties aren't mandatory. [2] How is that allowed and how do engineers trust these materials when used in the automotive and aerospace industry? My impression is that controlling the chemical composition of the steel is much easier and more affordable than controlling its properties, is this assumption correct?

As a work around to this problem, I'm considering taking the lower extreme and assume all our steels are at 30 ksi. With that said, I would still be missing other mechanical properties, such as poisson's ratio, the elastic modulus, shear modulus, etc. -which I need in order to perform reliable simulations on Solidworks. I guess I can find the elastic modulus with an empirical test by relating the measured deflection of a beam, but at that point, it's probably cheaper if we sent it to a third party for testing (as suggested by Alro Steel).[1] https://compass-astm-org.libdb.njit.edu:8443/EDIT/html_annot.cgi?A1011+18a#s00022
[2] https://www.alro.com/divsteel/Metal...1/A1018 CS Type B&Mat=CARBON STEEL&Type=Plate

Engineering news on Phys.org
The 30 KSI yield sounds about right for a hot rolled very low carbon steel. It will increase with work hardening, such as by cold rolling. Increasing yield strength by cold working also reduces ductility. Cold rolled steel can be annealed to increase ductility, with the side effect of reducing yield strength to 30 KSI.

The SolidWorks default properties for hot rolled mild steel should work well enough.

As for elastic modulus, steel is steel. All steels have the same elastic modulus. Highly alloyed steels, such as stainless steel, have a slightly lower elastic modulus.

What is ASTM A1011 CS Type B Steel?

ASTM A1011 CS Type B Steel is a type of cold-rolled carbon steel sheet that is commonly used in industrial applications. It is produced according to the ASTM A1011 standard, which specifies the requirements for hot-rolled, carbon, structural, high-strength low-alloy, high-strength low-alloy with improved formability, and ultra-high strength steel sheets and strips.

What is the yield strength of ASTM A1011 CS Type B Steel?

The minimum yield strength of ASTM A1011 CS Type B Steel is 30 ksi (207 MPa). This means that the steel can withstand a certain amount of stress before it starts to deform permanently.

What are the properties of ASTM A1011 CS Type B Steel?

ASTM A1011 CS Type B Steel has good formability, weldability, and machinability. It is also known for its high strength and low cost, making it a popular choice for a variety of applications. Additionally, it has a smooth surface finish and is resistant to corrosion.

What are the typical uses for ASTM A1011 CS Type B Steel?

ASTM A1011 CS Type B Steel is commonly used in the manufacturing of automotive components, construction equipment, agricultural machinery, and other industrial applications. It is also used in the production of furniture, appliances, and various other consumer goods.

How is ASTM A1011 CS Type B Steel different from other types of steel?

ASTM A1011 CS Type B Steel is specifically designed for cold-rolling, which gives it a smoother surface finish and tighter dimensional tolerances compared to hot-rolled steel. It also has a higher yield strength and better formability than other types of cold-rolled steel, making it ideal for a wide range of applications.