A2 experiment and I'm totally confused

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of induced voltage in a coil due to a magnet passing through it. The induced voltage is caused by the change in magnetic field lines and results in a sine wave graph. The graph has both positive and negative values due to the direction of the induced current. The conversation also touches on related topics such as the discovery of the phenomenon by M. Faraday and the use of protection diodes and ballast resistors in coil systems.
sexysam_short
Hello!

I've recently done an A2 experiment and I'm totally confused as to how to interpret the results! I would be really greatful for some help!

I basically droped a magnet through a coil and measured the voltage with a data logger and what not! I get that there's an induced voltage, because it's a magnet being dropped through a coil, but the graph looks like a sine wave at the point when the magnet is passing through the coil. Why does it?

Thanks lots,

Sam

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is a voltage induced when the magnet passes through the coil? Current is induced in the coil in response to what...?

As you might know that the described phenomena was discovered by M. faraday.
When a bar magnet is droped in coil the magnetic field lines, associated with the magnet, linkage with the coil change. It cause change in magnetic field changing magnetic field force electron in the coil to move, as the force is same on all eceltrons and in same direction they start flowing and the current is induced.
As the force on electrons is dependent on sinx (x is angle of allingment) the induced current hence voltage are sin functions.

Thanks for the help! But, I get why it would be the positive part of the sine wave, because of the induced currect, but why does the graph go negative?

Me again (changed my username because I thought this word was fantastic! lol)

I've just realized I actually don't know how you get an induced current? Could someone please explain it to me?!

Thanks lots!

You get the positive sine as more of the magnet is centered in the coil ending when the magnet is centered and the coil is saturated ( to the extent of the available magnetic field from the magnet)..conversly when the magnet exits the v approaches 0 . The coil has a stored magnetic field and when that field collapses the expressed V is 180 degrees out of phase with the V induced by the magnet. Thats why we use a protection diode on a relay coil reversed biased and why use a ballast resistor on a car coil.

1. What is the purpose of the A2 experiment?

The A2 experiment is a scientific study designed to investigate a particular hypothesis or research question. It involves collecting data and analyzing it in order to draw conclusions about the phenomenon being studied.

2. How is the A2 experiment conducted?

The specific methodology of the A2 experiment may vary depending on the research question and the field of study. However, in general, it involves planning and designing the experiment, collecting and recording data, analyzing the data, and drawing conclusions based on the results.

3. What is the difference between the A2 experiment and other experiments?

The A2 experiment may differ from other experiments in terms of the research question, the methodology used, and the data collected. It may also differ in terms of the equipment and materials used and the specific variables being measured.

4. Why am I confused about the A2 experiment?

The A2 experiment may be confusing if you are not familiar with the specific field of study or if you are not familiar with the research methods being used. It is also possible that the experiment is complex and requires a deeper understanding of scientific principles.

5. How can I better understand the A2 experiment?

The best way to understand the A2 experiment is to read and research about the specific topic and experiment design. You can also reach out to the researchers or other experts in the field for clarification and further explanation.