A2 Practical Project. Stress, Strain and.. I with the set up.

In summary: Overall, have fun and use this experiment as a learning experience for your future studies in Civil Engineering. In summary, for your A2 practical project, you will be using a stress gauge on a plastic sample to measure changes in stress and strain while also varying the temperature of the sample. To set up the experiment, you will need to carefully measure and record all of your data, including using consistent weights and possibly calculating the elasticity using Young's modulus equation. Other things you may want to measure include the thickness of the sample. Examples of this experiment can be found online or in textbooks. When conducting the experiment, remember to take safety precautions and be creative in problem-solving. This experiment will be a great learning experience for your future studies in Civil Engineering.
tomm3691
For my A2 practical project I am using a stress gauage on a 'rule' shape of plastic and adding diffrent weights to see the changein stress and strain. As another varible I will be changing the temperture of the plastic to see how this effects its stress and strain.

I'm looking for help in how I should set the experiment up? (words, diagrams or web links)
What other things I should measure?
Examples of this experiment?
Gernal advice and tips?

p.s. I chose this experiment as I plan to study Civil Engeerning at university.

Relevant equations:-
Youngs modulas- E = σ2 - σ1 / ε 2 - ε 1
All that I can think of.

The attempt at a solution:-
I've asked my teacher for help but it wasn't sucesful.
I've looked on the internet but found nothing usfull so far. . . .

thanks, tom. . . my email:- [<< personal e-mail address deleted by berkeman >>

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
]Tom,Setting up the experiment: For your experiment, you will need to set up a stress gauge on the plastic sample. You will also need to measure the temperature of the sample before and after any weight is applied. Make sure to record all of your measurements carefully. You may want to use a chart or graph to illustrate the changes in stress, strain, and temperature. Also, make sure that the weights you use are consistent and that you use the same amount of weight each time. What other things should you measure?In addition to measuring stress, strain, and temperature, you may want to measure the elasticity of the sample by using Young's modulus equation. This can help you better understand the behavior of the material under different conditions. You may also want to measure the thickness of the sample, as this could have an effect on the results. Examples of this experiment:You can find examples of similar experiments online. For example, this website has a very detailed explanation of how to conduct a stress-strain experiment: https://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=7073. You can also find examples in textbooks or scientific journals. General advice and tips:When conducting the experiment, make sure to be cautious and careful. Wear safety glasses and gloves and make sure to work in a well-ventilated area. Take your time and be sure to record all of your measurements accurately. Additionally, try to be creative and think of ways to improve your experiment if it does not yield the expected results.

]

I would advise you to first familiarize yourself with the concepts of stress and strain and how they are related to each other through Young's modulus. This will help you understand the purpose and significance of your experiment.

In terms of setting up your experiment, it would be helpful to have a clear and detailed plan. This can include a diagram of your setup, as well as step-by-step instructions for each part of the experiment. There are also many resources available online that provide guidance on setting up experiments related to stress and strain, such as this website from the University of Cambridge: https://www.doitpoms.ac.uk/tlplib/stress-strain/index.php.

In addition to measuring stress and strain, you may also want to consider measuring other properties of the plastic, such as its density or elasticity, to gain a comprehensive understanding of its behavior under different conditions. You could also vary other factors, such as the shape or size of the plastic, to see how they affect stress and strain.

As for general advice and tips, make sure to carefully record all your observations and data, and repeat the experiment multiple times to ensure accuracy and reliability. It may also be helpful to consult with your teacher or a mentor in the field of civil engineering for additional guidance and tips specific to your experiment.

Good luck with your project and your future studies in civil engineering!

1. What is the purpose of the A2 Practical Project?

The purpose of the A2 Practical Project is to apply theories and principles of stress, strain, and deformation to a real-life scenario. This project allows students to gain hands-on experience in conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions.

2. How is the setup for the A2 Practical Project determined?

The setup for the A2 Practical Project is determined by the specific objectives and requirements of the project. It may vary depending on the materials being tested and the type of equipment available. The setup should be designed to accurately measure and record the stress and strain of the materials being tested.

3. What materials are commonly used in the A2 Practical Project?

Common materials used in the A2 Practical Project include metals, polymers, and composites. These materials have different properties and behaviors when subjected to stress and strain, making them suitable for testing and analysis.

4. How is data collected and analyzed in the A2 Practical Project?

Data is collected through the use of sensors, such as strain gauges, and recorded using data acquisition systems. The collected data is then analyzed using mathematical equations and graphs to determine the stress and strain values of the material.

5. What are some common challenges faced in the A2 Practical Project?

Some common challenges in the A2 Practical Project include setting up the equipment correctly, ensuring accurate data collection, and interpreting the results. It is important to follow the instructions carefully and troubleshoot any issues that may arise during the project.