Attending AAPT Baltimore? Check Out Upcoming Abstracts and Featured Speakers!

• Thread starter robphy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aapt
In summary, the conversation is about the upcoming AAPT meeting in Baltimore and future dates for the conference. The speaker expresses their inability to attend due to work responsibilities and shares their past experiences at previous AAPT conferences. They also discuss the possibility of conducting interviews at the meeting and mention their plans to attend national conferences in the future. The speaker also mentions their interest in attending regional SACS-AAPT meetings.
robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Anyone going to the AAPT meeting in Baltimore?
http://www.aapt.org/events/wm2008/
future dates:
http://www.aapt.org/Events/meetings.cfmHere's a preview of the abstracts
http://www.aapt.org/Events/WM2008/upload/Sessions Preview.pdf
(schedules haven't been publicized yet)http://www.aapt.org/Events/WM2008/Featured_Speakers.cfm

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not me, unfortunately. My department is small enough that it's hard to get courses covered if you want to take time off for a conference. Especially since we're down from three people to two this year, and will probably be interviewing candidates in January to re-fill that third position. I think I've been to the AAPT winter meeting only once, when it was in Orlando during Christmas break and I could combine it with visiting my parents who lived in Fort Lauderdale at the time.

I've done the summer meeting a few times. I'm tempted to go to Edmonton in July and expand it into a tour of western Canada and the northwest USA. It would be a real trek by car from South Carolina, though! :eek: I'd probably better fly and rent a car, or stick to buses and trains.

Last edited:
jtbell said:
Not me, unfortunately. My department is small enough that it's hard to get courses covered if you want to take time off for a conference. Especially since we're down from three people to two this year, and will probably be interviewing candidates in January to re-fill that third position. I think I've been to the AAPT winter meeting only once, when it was in Orlando during Christmas break and I could combine it with visiting my parents who lived in Fort Lauderdale at the time.

I've done the summer meeting a few times. I'm tempted to go to Edmonton in July and expand it into a tour of western Canada and the northwest USA. It would be a real trek by car from South Carolina, though! :eek: I'd probably better fly and rent a car, or stick to buses and trains.

You could conduct interviews at the meeting :).
Did you go to the past summer meeting in Greensboro, NC? (wasn't too far away)

In my long-term plans, I intend to start attending the national conferences. Right now, I'm only attending the local ones, as they are more directly beneficial to me and more economical for my school.

I'm just starting to attend the local ones, myself.

robphy said:
You could conduct interviews at the meeting :).

I guess that didn't occur to us when we were planning the timeline for the hiring process because we don't have to hire people very often, and we don't normally go to the winter meetings anyway. Also, the college's president and provost also interview candidates during their on-campus visits, and they want to get the visits going in January, so we're going through the weeding-out phase right now (during final exam weak, yeah :yuck:).

Did you go to the past summer meeting in Greensboro, NC? (wasn't too far away)

I was going to, but something else came up at the same time that my wife and I felt we had to go to.

I need to keep an eye out for the regional SACS-AAPT meetings again, too. Next semester I should have more time for reading my mail and keeping track of things like that.

1. What is AAPT Baltimore?

AAPT Baltimore is a conference organized by the American Association of Physics Teachers that takes place in Baltimore, Maryland from January 19th to 23rd. It brings together physics educators, researchers, and students to share ideas and advances in physics education.

2. Who can attend AAPT Baltimore?

AAPT Baltimore is open to anyone who is interested in physics education, including physics teachers, researchers, students, and professionals from related fields. Registration is required to attend the conference.

3. What can I expect at AAPT Baltimore?

At AAPT Baltimore, you can expect to attend plenary talks, workshops, panel discussions, and poster sessions covering a wide range of topics in physics education. There will also be opportunities for networking and collaboration with other attendees.

4. How do I register for AAPT Baltimore?

You can register for AAPT Baltimore on the conference website. Registration fees vary depending on your membership status and the date of your registration. Early bird registration ends on December 15th.

5. Can I present my research at AAPT Baltimore?

Yes, AAPT Baltimore welcomes submissions for presentations, workshops, and posters. The deadline for submissions is October 1st. You can find more information about submission guidelines on the conference website.