1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AAPT Baltimore (Jan 19-23)?

1. Dec 9, 2007 #1

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2007 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Not me, unfortunately. My department is small enough that it's hard to get courses covered if you want to take time off for a conference. Especially since we're down from three people to two this year, and will probably be interviewing candidates in January to re-fill that third position. I think I've been to the AAPT winter meeting only once, when it was in Orlando during Christmas break and I could combine it with visiting my parents who lived in Fort Lauderdale at the time.

I've done the summer meeting a few times. I'm tempted to go to Edmonton in July and expand it into a tour of western Canada and the northwest USA. It would be a real trek by car from South Carolina, though! :eek: I'd probably better fly and rent a car, or stick to buses and trains.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  4. Dec 10, 2007 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You could conduct interviews at the meeting :).
    Did you go to the past summer meeting in Greensboro, NC? (wasn't too far away)

5. Dec 10, 2007 #4
    In my long-term plans, I intend to start attending the national conferences. Right now, I'm only attending the local ones, as they are more directly beneficial to me and more economical for my school.

6. Dec 11, 2007 #5

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm just starting to attend the local ones, myself.

7. Dec 11, 2007 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I guess that didn't occur to us when we were planning the timeline for the hiring process because we don't have to hire people very often, and we don't normally go to the winter meetings anyway. Also, the college's president and provost also interview candidates during their on-campus visits, and they want to get the visits going in January, so we're going through the weeding-out phase right now (during final exam weak, yeah :yuck:).

I was going to, but something else came up at the same time that my wife and I felt we had to go to.

I need to keep an eye out for the regional SACS-AAPT meetings again, too. Next semester I should have more time for reading my mail and keeping track of things like that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?