1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

|ab|=|ba| in a group

1. Feb 2, 2004 #1
    I have to show that in a group G |ab|=|ba| for all a,b in G.

I don't have a clue how to proceed. I assume |ab|=n. I feel that using associativity, identity and inverse should be important. But I don't see how these tools will get me to |ba|=n.
    I've considered proof by contradiciton, but that doesn't seem to be useful here.

Can someone please give me a hint?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2004 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I guess my first question is what you mean by |x|.

4. Feb 2, 2004 #3
    Sorry, I figured |ab| would be understood to mean the order of ab; that is, the least positive number n such that (ab)^n=e. I'm new in the study of algebra, so I do not know what notation is most widely recognized, or in what contexts.

5. Feb 3, 2004 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought that might be what you mean, but I wasn't sure; I've only seen that notation used for the order of a group, not the individual elements.

Anyways, try this:

Start with the equation [itex](ab)^n=e[/itex]. What can you do to this equation to turn the left hand side into [itex](ba)^n[/itex]?

Oh, and don't forget this fun bit of number theory: [itex]a | b \wedge b | a \implies a = b[/itex] (if both a and b are positive integers)

6. Feb 3, 2004 #5
    here's one way i think it could work:
    prove [tex]a\left( ba\right) ^{n}a^{-1}=\left( ab\right) ^{n}[/tex] (by induction, eg).

then [tex]\left( ba\right) ^{\left| ba\right| }=e\rightarrow \left( ab\right) ^{\left| ba\right| }=a\left( ba\right) ^{\left| ba\right| }a^{-1}=e\rightarrow \left| ab\right| |\left| ba\right| [/tex].

then prove [tex]\left( ba\right) ^{n}=a^{-1}\left( ab\right) ^{n}a[/tex] to get that [tex]\left| ba\right| |\left| ab\right| [/tex].

7. Feb 3, 2004 #6

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Phoenixtoth: Your first line of LaTeX is not generally true. Although for your argument you could go with [tex]a(e)a^{-1}=e[/tex] which is obviously true.
    Jupiter:
    Perhaps you should look at some simple cases:

If [tex]|ab|=1[/tex] you should have little trouble.

Once you've figured that one out, try [tex]|ab|=2[/tex]. You should be able to work it out from there.

I think you'll have to handle the [tex]|ab|=\infty[/tex] case seperately, and that it will involve some type of proof by contradiction.

8. Feb 3, 2004 #7
    nateTG,
    if it's not true, can you find a counter example?

here's my proof by induction. can you spot an error?
    [tex]a\left( ba\right) ^{n}a^{-1}=\left( ab\right) ^{n}[/tex] is clear for n=0 if empty products are defined to equal e.

assume now that [tex]a\left( ba\right) ^{n}a^{-1}=\left( ab\right) ^{n}[/tex] for n>0. multiply the left hand side by [tex]a^{-1}[/tex] and the right hand side by [tex]a[/tex] to get this:
    [tex]\left( ba\right) ^{n}=a^{-1}\left( ab\right) ^{n}a[/tex]. then
    [tex]a\left( ba\right) ^{n+1}a^{-1}=a\left( ba\right) ^{n}\left( ba\right) a^{-1}=a\left( a^{-1}\left( ab\right) ^{n}a\right) \left( ba\right) a^{-1}=\left( ab\right) ^{n+1}[/tex].

9. Feb 3, 2004 #8

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry. Dyslexia strikes again. I thought you had:
    [tex]a(ab)^na^{-1}=(ab)^n[/tex] which is not generally true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?