Abandoned Threads: Penalty for Unresolved Questions?

• Thread starter LCKurtz
  • Start date
In summary, one common frustration among internet forum users is when posters ask a question and then disappear without providing closure. This often happens without any acknowledgement or gratitude towards those who took the time to respond. Some users try to reach out to these posters or bring attention to their lack of response. This issue has been discussed before and there have been suggestions for penalizing this behavior. However, there are also valid reasons such as technical difficulties or personal interruptions that could explain the lack of closure. Additionally, some users may simply be "drive-by" posters who are only interested in getting a quick answer without engaging in further discussion.
LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
One of my pet peeves is when posters post a question and then abandon the thread without closure. This happens sometimes immediately after their original post or sometimes after a few exchanges with repliers. Nothing like "thanks, I figured it out" or "my teacher went over this, thanks anyway" or even "sorry, I can't get back to this thread for a while". Sometimes I tag such posters or even reply to one of their active threads asking if they are going to respond or abandon the particular thread.

No doubt this subject has come up before, but I would like to see some penalty for this behavior to discourage it.

Physics news on Phys.org
LCKurtz said:
penalty for this behavior to discourage it.
Been there, done that.
Computers crash. Life interrupts.
"Drive-by" posts are part of the PF landscape.

Many posters (especially in homework) post the same problem in sites all over the internet looking for an answer. Once they get what they want or it's too late, they don't bother to go back to the sites where they posted.

1. What is considered an "abandoned thread"?

An abandoned thread is a question that has been posted on a forum or discussion board and has not received a response or resolution for an extended period of time.

2. Is there a penalty for leaving a thread unresolved?

Yes, many forums and discussion boards have penalties for leaving threads unresolved. This can include a decrease in reputation or a temporary ban from posting on the forum.

3. How long does a thread have to be inactive before it is considered abandoned?

The definition of an "inactive" thread may vary depending on the forum or discussion board. However, it is generally considered abandoned after a period of 2-3 weeks without any activity or resolution.

4. Can I request for a thread to be closed or deleted if I no longer need the answer?

Yes, it is considered good etiquette to request for a thread to be closed or deleted if you no longer need the answer. This allows other users to focus on unresolved questions and keeps the forum organized.

5. How can I avoid having my threads marked as abandoned?

To avoid having your threads marked as abandoned, make sure to follow up on any responses or resolutions to your question. You can also provide updates on your progress or mark the thread as resolved once you have found a solution.