Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abandoned Threads

1. Jan 18, 2015 #1

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One of my pet peeves is when posters post a question and then abandon the thread without closure. This happens sometimes immediately after their original post or sometimes after a few exchanges with repliers. Nothing like "thanks, I figured it out" or "my teacher went over this, thanks anyway" or even "sorry, I can't get back to this thread for a while". Sometimes I tag such posters or even reply to one of their active threads asking if they are going to respond or abandon the particular thread.

No doubt this subject has come up before, but I would like to see some penalty for this behavior to discourage it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Been there, done that.
    Computers crash. Life interrupts.
    "Drive-by" posts are part of the PF landscape.

4. Jan 18, 2015 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Many posters (especially in homework) post the same problem in sites all over the internet looking for an answer. Once they get what they want or it's too late, they don't bother to go back to the sites where they posted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook