Abaqus - Boundary Conditions Comparison of two models

In summary: Expert Summary: In summary, the person is seeking help with their Abaqus project where they want to compare two models and find the residual stress that causes one model to deform to the other. They plan to do this by setting displacement boundary conditions to a number of node points and are looking for a more accurate way to directly set the displacements on the second model. They are also reminded to consider factors such as geometry, material properties, and thermal effects in their analysis.
Pazza
Hi everyone,
This is my first time posting here

I am looking to get some help with Abaqus,

I wish to compare two models and find the residual stress which causes a original model to deform to the other. The deflection between the two models can be calculated by other software.

I plan to do this by setting displacement boundary conditions to a number of node points the model which will force the first models mesh to deform the the shape of the other. Abaqus would then calculate the resulting stress which, if I am correct, would be the negative of the residual stress in the original part.

At the moment I am manually setting known displacements as boundary condition to nodes a simplified mesh over the original model.

I was wondering if there was a way to directly set the displacements as the second model to give a more accurate result.

Thanks for any input.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello,

I am glad to see you reaching out for help with your Abaqus project. Comparing and analyzing models can be a complex task, so I understand the need for assistance.

Firstly, it is important to make sure that the two models you are comparing are similar in terms of geometry, material properties, and loading conditions. This will ensure a more accurate comparison and result.

To directly set displacements on the second model, you can use the "Coupling" feature in Abaqus. This allows you to transfer displacements from one model to another, thus eliminating the need for manually setting known displacements. You can find more information on this feature in the Abaqus documentation or tutorials.

Additionally, it is important to note that residual stresses can also be affected by factors such as material properties, thermal effects, and boundary conditions. It is important to carefully consider and account for these factors in your analysis.

I hope this helps and wish you success in your project. Please do not hesitate to reach out for further assistance.

1. What is Abaqus?

Abaqus is a finite element analysis software developed by Dassault Systèmes. It is commonly used by engineers and scientists to simulate and analyze various types of physical systems.

2. What are boundary conditions?

Boundary conditions are constraints that are applied to a physical system in order to simulate its real-life behavior. They define how the system interacts with its surroundings and can include forces, displacements, and other parameters.

3. Why is it important to compare boundary conditions in two models?

By comparing boundary conditions in two models, scientists can ensure that the simulated systems are accurately representing the real-life systems. This is important for validating the results of the simulation and making informed decisions based on them.

4. How does Abaqus handle boundary conditions?

Abaqus offers a variety of boundary condition options, including displacement, force, pressure, and thermal conditions. These can be applied at specific points, edges, surfaces, or volumes in the model, depending on the type of analysis being performed.

5. Are there any limitations to comparing boundary conditions in Abaqus?

While Abaqus provides a comprehensive set of options for boundary conditions, there may be cases where specific conditions are not available or may require additional scripting. It is important to consult the Abaqus documentation and seek help from experienced users when working with complex boundary conditions.