Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abbreviated date/time stamp

1. Dec 17, 2007 #1

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The last couple of days, the day listed in the upper left corner of posts has been abbreviated to a single letter. So Today-->T and Yesterday-->Y.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2007 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Its in response to the time stamps being put on the main forum index. Greg couldn't use the full words because with the added time stamp it'd go onto an extra line and make the forums less aesthetically pleasing.

4. Dec 17, 2007 #3

Evo

Do we have to use military time? My clock doesn't say 20:42. :grumpy:

5. Dec 17, 2007 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Dec 17, 2007 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To save even more space, we're actually considering removing all punctuation, run-length encoding the resulting bitstream, then converting it into base-26 place-value notation so it will display in ASCII. These ultra-short timestamps would only occupy two letters. YU would indicate midnight on January 1, 1979, for example, while GL would indicate high noon on the 27th of August, 2014. What could be simpler?

- Warren

7. Dec 17, 2007 #6

Evo

:rofl: :rofl:

8. Dec 17, 2007 #7

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You could encode the timestamp into the color of a single pixel. :tongue2:
    (You'd have to print it out on a good color printer to preserve that info.)

9. Dec 17, 2007 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

I actually prefer military time, but that's because I keep all my lab notes in 24 hour time too, just to avoid confusion on AM and PM.

10. Dec 17, 2007 #9

Evo

Twisting_edge always quotes time that way "at 1800 hours I went to the laundry room to get my clothes out of the dryer". :surprised

11. Dec 17, 2007 #10

berkeman

Now I have another problem. I just sprayed Diet Coke all over my monitor, and the text is blurry as a result :rofl:

12. Dec 17, 2007 #11

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You must work long days! :wink:

13. Dec 17, 2007 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes. I get to come back all rested from my holiday vacation just in time to help with an experiment that needs me to be at the farm at 3:30 in the morning...on the same day I have to teach from 10 AM until noon...so much for any rest I get lasting long. :rolleyes: My students will probably think I have a drinking problem when I show up all punchy from being awake all night.

14. Dec 17, 2007 #13

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What the heck? I've been without power for six days here in the midwest so I was really glad to be back. But then I saw the Ts and Ys and was going to complain. Then
    Now I'm laughing so hard it doesn't matter.

15. Dec 17, 2007 #14

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

:rofl::rofl:

16. Dec 19, 2007 #15
    There's a 'space' after the 'T' and 'Y', couldn't that 'space' be elimintated, go to 'standard' time, with maybe just a 'P' for PM, and an 'A' for AM? I don't like the military time---

My 'time' is still one hour off before I log in--is something wrong here?---my computer is set and reads right---

17. Dec 19, 2007 #16

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Mine does... :biggrin:

18. Dec 19, 2007 #17

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?