Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A ABC Conjecture

1. Dec 23, 2015 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Oh, all the great headlines the press could write...
    "Mathematicians still unsure if a+b=c"
    "Conference on whether a+b=c or not, no solution"

Does Mochizuki write down more details and steps in regions where other mathematicians struggle? It looks like an obvious thing to do.

4. Dec 25, 2015 #3
    Usually the proof is with a consistent level of detail. It is already very long, perhaps a thousand pages. It could be that different mathematicians struggle with different steps, or maybe they are just overwhelmed with the whole thing. That's the trouble with highly original research: peer review could take many man-years, and there is risk that the whole thing will be useless. If Mochizuki didn't have a heavy rep there would be no chance that his proof would be accepted: too risky an investment.

5. Dec 12, 2016 #4
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2016
  6. Dec 19, 2016 #5
    I never took number theory, but I've taken lots of combinatorics and I usually stay up on math related "news." But I've heard more about this conjecture in the press than I've heard from anybody I know in the math community. Does anyone really think it's really such an important conjecture?

-Dave K

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted