1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A ABC Conjecture

1. Dec 23, 2015 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Oh, all the great headlines the press could write...
    "Mathematicians still unsure if a+b=c"
    "Conference on whether a+b=c or not, no solution"

Does Mochizuki write down more details and steps in regions where other mathematicians struggle? It looks like an obvious thing to do.

4. Dec 25, 2015 #3
    Usually the proof is with a consistent level of detail. It is already very long, perhaps a thousand pages. It could be that different mathematicians struggle with different steps, or maybe they are just overwhelmed with the whole thing. That's the trouble with highly original research: peer review could take many man-years, and there is risk that the whole thing will be useless. If Mochizuki didn't have a heavy rep there would be no chance that his proof would be accepted: too risky an investment.

5. Dec 12, 2016 #4
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2016
  6. Dec 19, 2016 #5
    I never took number theory, but I've taken lots of combinatorics and I usually stay up on math related "news." But I've heard more about this conjecture in the press than I've heard from anybody I know in the math community. Does anyone really think it's really such an important conjecture?

-Dave K

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted