1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abelian math help

1. Sep 29, 2004 #1
    I want to show that if G is a group where there exists an [tex] x [/tex] which is it's own inverse then G is abelian. Ie [tex] x * x = e [/tex]. I get the hint that let [tex] x = ab [/tex]. So we have abab=e, I'm not sure how to continue from this. But I think I should try something like this

[tex] (1) \quad a*abab = a [/tex]
    [tex] (2) \quad abab*a = a [/tex]
    [tex] (3) \quad b*abab = b [/tex]
    [tex] (4) \quad abab*b = b [/tex]

But I'm not sure how to continue ... please give me help but don't spoil it :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2004 #2

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm slightly puzzled as all groups contain an idenityt so, every group has an elemnt such that x*x = e, namely e.

I can also think of Abelian and non-Abelian groups that contain elements such that x*x = e were x is not equal to e (for example muplication in the rationals and matrix mutplication).

4. Sep 29, 2004 #3
    Hmm I might have understood it wrong. But it say

Prove that in a group G where [tex] x \ast x = e [/tex] for all [tex] x \in G [/tex] is abelian. Hint: Look at [tex] (a \ast b) \ast (a \ast b) [/tex]. Maybe I misunderstood the question ...

Edit: I think I can prove it now, I MUST have misunderstood. We have
    [tex] x \ast x = e [/tex] let the x:s be [tex] x_1 [/tex] and [tex] x_2 [/tex] with [tex] x_1 = x_2 [/tex] (Just to make it easier to see the difference).

[tex] x_1 \ast x_2 = e [/tex]
    [tex] x_1 \ast x_2 \ast x_2^{-1} = x_2^{-1} [/tex]
    [tex] x_1 \ast e = x_2^{-1} [/tex]
    [tex] x_2 \ast x_1 = x_2 \ast x_2^{-1} [/tex]
    [tex] x_2 \ast x_1 = e [/tex]
    And since [tex] x_1 \ast x_2 = x_2 \ast x_1 [/tex] the group G must be abelian?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2004
  5. Sep 29, 2004 #4
    Yes, there is a difference between "there exists an x such that x*x = e" (which you said in your first post) and "for all x, x*x = e".

Another hint is to consider (ab)^-1 (there is a formula for that expression in terms of the inverses of a and b).

6. Sep 29, 2004 #5

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm still a little confused tho', does that also implicit that x is not equal to e?

7. Sep 29, 2004 #6
    I'm not sure what you mean. Are you asking if x^2 = e for all x in G => x != e...? x could of course be e.

8. Sep 29, 2004 #7

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right now, sorry I relaize now, the orginal quetsion wasn't the the question that he wanted answered.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?