Abel's Lemma: Direct and Induction Proof

In summary, Abel's Lemma states a relation between two infinite sequences of elements in a field. It states that for any positive integer n and for m=0,1,2,...,n-1, the sum of the products of the elements can be expressed as a sum of differences of the elements multiplied by partial sums of the other sequence. This relationship can be proven using induction.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Abel’s Lemma,
Let [itex]a_0,a_1,a_2,\cdots [/itex] and [itex]b_0,b_1,b_2,\cdots [/itex] be elements of a field;
let[itex] s_k = a_0 + a_1 + a_2 + \cdots + a_k [/itex] k= 0,1,2,… And s-1 =0.

Then for any positive real integer n and for m= 0,1,2,…,n-1,

[tex] \sum^n _{k=m} a_k b_k = \sum ^{n-1}_{k=m} (b_k - b_{k+1}) s_k + b_n s_n - b_m s_{m-1}[/tex]

Proof:

Expanding the terms of the sum gives

[tex] (b_m - b_{m+1})s_m + (b_{m+1} - b_{m+2} )s_{m+1} + \cdots + (b_{n-1} - b_n) s_{n-1} + b_n s_n - b_m s_{m-1}[/tex]

By the definition of sk we have sk+1 = sk + ak+1

Now for the expansion of the sum we can write:

[tex] (b_m s_m - b_{m+1} s_m + b_{m+1} s_{m+1} - b_{m+2} s_{m+1} + \cdots + b_{n-1} s_n - b_n s_{n-1} + b_n s_n - b_m s_{m-1}[/tex]

[tex] b_m a_m + b_m s_{m-1} - b_{m+1} s_m + b_{m+1} s_m + b_{m+1} a_{m+1} - b_{m+2} s_{m+1} + \cdots + b_{n-1} s_n - b_n s_{n-1} + b_n s_n - b_m s_{m-1}[/tex]

Now group canceling terms:

[tex] b_m a_m + ( b_m s_{m-1} -b_m s_{m-1}) + ( - b_{m+1} s_m + b_{m+1} s_{m}) + b_{m+1} a_{m+1} + \cdots + b_{n-1} a_{n-1} + b_{n-1} s_n - b_n s_{n-1} + b_n s_n [/tex]

All that remains is

[tex] \sum _{k=m} ^ n a_k b_k [/tex]

Is this proof sufficient or do I need do an induction proof?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's sufficient. But my teacher would say it's too suggestive with those dots.
Use induction. It's much neater.

OK, let me see if I can do the induction proof.
The part that has bothered me is the m, not clear to me what this buys? I guess it it a bit more generalized, don't have to start at zero.

For the induction proof I need to show that the relatationship is ture for n=1 and m=0

[tex]\sum _ {k=0}^1 a_k b_k = a_0 b_0 + a_1 b_1 [/tex]

for the RHS I have

[tex] \sum ^0 _ {k=0} (b_k - b_{k+1})s_k + b_n s_n - b_m s_{m-1}= (b_0 - b_1)s_0 + b_0 s_0 + b_1 a_0 + b_1 a_1 - b_0 s_{-1} [/tex]
[tex] = b_0 a_0 - b_1 a_0 + b_0 a_0 + b_1 a_0 + b_1 a_1 - 0 [/tex]
[tex] = b_0 a_0 + a_1 b_1 [/tex]

So the statement is valid for n=1, now assume that the general statement for is true n= N.

Let n= N+1

[tex] \sum^{N+1} _{k=m} a_k b_k = \sum ^N_{k=m} (b_k - b_{k+1}) s_k + b_{N+1} s_{N+1} - b_m s_{m-1}[/tex]
For the RHS we have

[tex] \sum^{N+1} _{k=m} a_k b_k = \sum ^{N-1}_{k=m} (b_k - b_{k+1}) s_k + b_{N+1} s_{N+1} - b_m s_{m-1}+( b_{N} - b_{N+1})s_N[/tex]

[tex] = \sum ^{N-1}_{k=m} (b_k - b_{k+1}) s_k + b_{N+1} s_{N} + b_{N+1}a_{N+1} - b_m s_{m-1}+ b_{N}s_N - b_{N+1}s_N[/tex]

[tex] = \sum ^{N-1}_{k=m} (b_k - b_{k+1}) s_k + b_Na_N - b_m s_{m-1}+ b_{N+1}a_{N+1} [/tex]

[tex] = \sum ^N_{k=m} a_k b_k + a_{N+1}b_{N+1} [/tex]

[tex] = \sum^{N+1}_{k+m} a_k b_k [/tex]
QED

1. What is Abel's Lemma?

Abel's Lemma is a theorem in mathematics that states that if a power series converges at a point, then it also converges at every point within the interval of convergence. It is named after Norwegian mathematician Niels Henrik Abel.

2. What is a direct proof?

A direct proof is a method of proving a theorem or proposition by using logical reasoning and previously proven statements or axioms. It involves starting with the given statement and using known facts and definitions to arrive at the desired conclusion.

3. How is Abel's Lemma used in mathematics?

Abel's Lemma is often used in the study of power series and their convergence. It allows mathematicians to extend the results of a power series from a single point to a larger interval of convergence, making it a useful tool in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, analysis, and algebra.

4. What are the key steps in a direct proof of Abel's Lemma?

The key steps in a direct proof of Abel's Lemma typically involve showing that a given power series is convergent at a point, and then using that fact to prove that it is also convergent at every point within its interval of convergence. This is often done by manipulating the terms of the series and using known properties of convergent series.

5. Are there any limitations to Abel's Lemma?

While Abel's Lemma is a powerful tool in mathematics, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to power series that have a non-zero radius of convergence, and it does not guarantee the convergence of the series at the endpoints of the interval. Additionally, it is not applicable to all types of series, such as alternating series.