Aberration of a Particle: Solving for Angle and Velocity in Relativistic Frames

In summary, the angle ## \theta ## made by the track of the particle with the x-axis is given by$$ \tan \theta = \frac {u’ \sin\theta’} { \gamma \{u’ \cos\theta’ + \beta c\} } $$
Ken Miller

Homework Statement

A particle has speed u‘ in the S’ frame, its track making an angle ## \theta’ ## with the x’ axis. The particle is viewed by an observer in frame S, the two frames having a relative speed parameter ## \beta ##.

(a) Show that the angle ## \theta ## made by the track of the particle with the x-axis is given by

$$ \tan \theta = \frac {u’ \sin\theta’} { \gamma \{u’ \cos\theta’ + \beta c\} } $$

(b) Show that this reduces to the standard aberration formula $$ \tan \theta = \frac {\sin \theta’ \sqrt{1-\beta^2} } {\cos \theta’ + \beta} $$ if the “particle” is a light pulse, so that ## u’ = c##.

Homework Equations

Given in problem statement

The Attempt at a Solution

Solving (b) is easy. But (a) is a mystery to me. I think I see how the authors get there, but it seems too simple. I can get there if I argue as follows:

I believe the authors mean that the relative movement of the two frames is along the common x-x’ axis, though they aren’t explicit. In that case the y-component of velocity is the same as the y’-component of velocity; i.e. ## u_y = u’_y = u’ \sin \theta’.## Also the x-component of velocity is some combination of the relative velocity of the frames (## \beta c##) and the x’-component of velocity (## u’ \cos \theta’##); here is seems clear that the authors just added ## u’ \cos \theta’## and ## \beta c## and expanded by multiplying by ##\gamma##. But I am puzzled as to why that is the right thing to do. After all, why shouldn’t the two velocities be added using the relativistic velocity-addition formula: $$ u_x = \frac {u’_x \cos \theta’ + \beta c} {1+ \frac {u’ \cos \theta’ \beta c} {c^2} }? $$ Or am I misunderstanding completely what they have done to get (a)?

I also considered trying to derive (a) in the same way the authors derived (b). But they did that assuming a light wave and making use of the fact that that ## \lambda f = \lambda’ f’ = c.## But in (a), we have particle motion, not wave propagation (we haven’t gotten to quantum mechanics yet), so it seems to me that I cannot treat this as a propagating wave.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ken Miller said:
In that case the y-component of velocity is the same as the y’-component of velocity; i.e. uy=u′y=u′sinθ′
This is incorrect. The y-component is frame dependent.

Do you know the 4-vector formalism? Otherwise you will have to use the Lorentz transformations.

Likes Ken Miller
Oh...as soon as I saw your statement that the y-component is frame dependent, I realized that this is much easier than I thought. Anyway, I'm only vaguely familiar with 4-vectors, but I think I think I see how this can be done with Lorentz transformations. So, I think that part of where I was going wrong was in thinking that the ## \gamma ## in the solution was connected with the x-component of velocity (simply because I saw it in the denominator). Instead it's connected with the y-component, right? That is, by using the Lorentz transformation on ## \frac {\delta y} {\delta t}, ## you get $$ u_y = \frac {u'_y \sqrt{1-\beta^2} } {1+\frac{\beta c u'_x} {c^2}},$$ I believe. And I believe that I am correct about the x-component in my Attempt at Solution (above). Then $$ \tan \theta = \frac {u_y} {u_x}, which yields the answer. Am I understanding now?
P.S. And thank you for your assistance. You folks are great!

1. What is an aberration of a particle?

An aberration of a particle refers to the apparent displacement of a particle's position due to the motion of the observer. This phenomenon is commonly observed in astronomy, where the motion of the Earth around the Sun causes a shift in the position of stars.

2. What causes aberration of a particle?

Aberration of a particle is caused by the finite speed of light and the relative motion between the observer and the particle. As the observer moves, the light from the particle takes time to reach their eyes, resulting in a perceived shift in the particle's position.

3. How is aberration of a particle calculated?

The amount of aberration of a particle can be calculated using the formula θ = v/c, where θ is the angle of aberration, v is the velocity of the observer, and c is the speed of light. This formula is known as the aberration equation.

4. Can aberration of a particle be observed on Earth?

Yes, aberration of a particle can be observed on Earth. However, it is only noticeable for objects traveling at high speeds, such as particles in a particle accelerator or celestial bodies in space. It is not noticeable in everyday situations.

5. How does aberration of a particle affect our understanding of the universe?

Aberration of a particle plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe, particularly in astronomy. By observing the aberration of stars, scientists can calculate the speed at which the Earth is moving and its distance from the stars. This information has been used to refine our understanding of the solar system and the cosmos as a whole.