1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aberration of light

1. Mar 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://s22.postimg.org/5vp0p2aox/Untitled.png [Broken]
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Here is the solution

I understand everything that must be done after one find the correct transformations for the two coordinates, but I don't understand why the transformation for y' has a minus R at the end. I would think y' = the first two terms x¬0cos + y¬0sin

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What is ¬?

The last term comes from the squaring of [highlight]+[/highlight] y0sin(wt) [highlight]-[/highlight] R

4. Mar 26, 2013 #3
    Sorry, the" ¬" of "y¬0" was not suppose to be there. I was typing my post on word and copied and pasted it to the forum. I meant I thought that y' = xocos(wt) + yosin(wt). Why is there a minus R term for y' and not for x'. I understand if it had the R term and we squared y' and x' and add them up and take the square root we would get the numerator shown in the final answer. But I didn't understand why y' had the minus R term in the begging.

5. Mar 27, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Ah, that R.
    At the considered point in time, you are at (0,R), so you have to subtract this R to get to the origin again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted