• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

ABET Graduation accreditation?

• Programs
  • Thread starter YoshiMoshi
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

So apparently until a couple of years ago (?) schools couldn't get multiple programs accredited by ABET (?) and could only get one accredited. So I think most schools only get their undergraduate programs accredited by ABET because it's very costly to accrediate both programs (?). I don't think my MS degree at my school is ABET accreditation but is accredited by New England Association of Schools and Colleges by the Board of Higher Education in the state [my state]. Does it matter that my school doesn't get there graduate programs ABET credited? I know for like undergraduates if it's not ABET accredited employer's don't really recognized non ABET programs (?).

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
So apparently until a couple of years ago (?) schools couldn't get multiple programs accredited by ABET (?) and could only get one accredited
What? That makes no sense.

boneh3ad
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Schools generally don't get their MS programs accredited because it doesn't make sense to get them accredited. I don't honestly know if there's a rule against it, but it really doesn't matter anyway. Unless there are licensing issues because you didn't have an ABET-accredited undergraduate degree either, then it doesn't matter one bit if your graduate program was accredited.

Consider that ABET seeks to lay out a set of standards that enumerate exactly what broad set of topics and skills an engineer is supposed to learn in school in order to be a valuable employee down the road. This makes sense for a BS, but the whole point of an MS is to get more advanced training in a specific area of interest to you and/or your employer. It just doesn't make sense in that case. Don't sweat it.