Ability to predict the future?

• Thread starter Nernico
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future
In summary: It would seem that Twain was a clever man, and that he could not only see the future but also predict the effects of his predictions."In summary, Mark Twain was able to predict the future by looking at the past and imagining what would happen in the future. He was able to do this by predicting the effects of his predictions.
Nernico
Consider holding a weight in your hand, now consider if I/you release this weight I/you would reasonably assume that it will fall, depending on the weight and properties of the weight I could then make further predicitions of what will happen after it has fallen. Having made this prediction I could, with some accuracy, predict the future effects of the 'falling' event if my previous predicition were true. I would like to open this discusion by suggesting that we can accuratly predict events where we have a good knowledge of the conditions of the event also we can fairly accurately predict the events caused by this event given sufficient knowledge but the more we reley on our predictions the less accurate future ones will be.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moved from Philosophy. Please read both sets of rules sticked in Philosophy so you understand what you can post there.

This is just attribution of simple foresight. We have a good model based on previous experience as to how a simple action like dropping a ball will play out. Simulating/imagining what will happen and planning is simple.

This doesn't exactly scale however. We might be great at modelling day-to-day movements, actions of people we know etc but the more complex a system you try to model the harder it becomes to predict what will happen. This is particularly compounded by not having relevant real-time data and not having a sufficient model to predict with. With regards to large, complex issues (particularly political and social) the problems become wicked problems because we lack the basic means of even defining what it is we need to observe and how to model it.

I think this is fairly obvious, not only in engineering but also in business where great effort is put into developing accurate business models.

Read the Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov to see your idea taken to the extreme.

Predicting the future is what the scientific method is all about, isn't it?

I think one should also take note of Mark Twain's version of the scientific method and predicting the future:

...And by the same token any person can see that seven hundred and forty-two years from now the Lower Mississippi will be only a mile and three-quarters long...

I've always been able to look at a girl and tell whether.

""Read the Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov to see your idea taken to the extreme.""

and his short stories about "Thiotimoline", a substance that dissolves a fraction of a second before it contacts water...

What is the ability to predict the future?

The ability to predict the future is the belief or practice of being able to foresee or anticipate future events or outcomes before they occur. It is often associated with psychics, fortune tellers, and other individuals who claim to have supernatural abilities.

Is it possible to predict the future?

While many people believe in the possibility of predicting the future, the concept is highly debated and has not been scientifically proven. Some argue that certain events or patterns can be predicted based on past data and statistical analysis, while others believe that the future is unpredictable and constantly changing.

How do people claim to predict the future?

There are various methods that people claim to use to predict the future, such as astrology, tarot card readings, and psychic abilities. These methods are often based on intuition, symbolism, and interpretation of patterns or signs.

Can anyone develop the ability to predict the future?

There is no scientific evidence that suggests that anyone can develop the ability to predict the future. While some individuals may have a stronger intuition or perception, it is not a skill that can be acquired or trained in a traditional sense.

What are the potential drawbacks of relying on the ability to predict the future?

One of the main drawbacks of relying on the ability to predict the future is that it can lead to false hope or expectations. If the predictions do not come true, it can also cause disappointment or loss of trust in the individual making the predictions. Additionally, relying too heavily on predictions can prevent individuals from taking action and making their own choices for the future.