Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abortion and Bush

1. Prolife/ and I want abortion illegalized. I don't care about much else in the approval ratings.

1 vote(s)
  2. Prolife/ I'd like to see RvW overturned, but I consider other presidential duties equally important.

0 vote(s)
  3. Prolife/ I think this issue is a minor part of a presidency. (less pro-life emphasis than 2.)

3 vote(s)
  4. Prolife/ The issue isn't relevant to *government*. *Couples* should choose life for their fetuses.

3 vote(s)
  5. Prochoice/ But Bush should make a stand on abortion one way or the other.

0 vote(s)
  6. Prochoice/ I think the presidency should stay out of everyone's bedroom

15 vote(s)
  7. This is option 7. If you are confused by the poll select this.

0 vote(s)
  8. What will you be for halloween?

5 vote(s)
  9. This poll sucks.

2 vote(s)
  10. This option is not an option. Patty should learn to count before composing her polls.

2 vote(s)
  1. Oct 26, 2005 #1
    I am curious how *much* support hinges on the "saving unborn babies" angle. This is a poorly worded poll, take it anyway. If your name starts with an R, go ahead and critique the wording. You know you want to. :tongue2: :wink:
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2005 #2
    Oh, this isn't about whether or not Bush's mother should have had an abortion?

(sorry, I couldn't resist)
  4. Oct 27, 2005 #3

Gold Member

Im rather amazed anyone voted for Prochoice/ I think the presidency should stay out of everyone's bedroom since this is a judicial issue. I'm not sure how people could miss this....

And of course the poll is bias considering the *'s is pattylou's way of emphasizing words.

I voted for halloween.
  5. Oct 27, 2005 #4
    Yes, the poll isn't exactly correct, but neither is much of anything. The trick to communicating with other people is to assume that they mean what you expect them to mean. This of course causes many problems, but it works fairly well.
  6. Oct 27, 2005 #5

Gold Member

Yes... thats a horrifically unscientific way of doing things...
  7. Oct 27, 2005 #6
    That's language for ya, though. For instance, I expect that by "unscientific", you mean "not done by means of the scientific method". It could also be interpreted as "not related to a science", as in math, art, etc. I suppose you already know what I mean, though, so this post is pointless...yeah...
  8. Oct 27, 2005 #7

Gold Member

Well one of the very last things a poll should be is ambiguous (but then again there are worse errors in this poll anyways). Oh well, its a political rant so rational thought doesn't matter.
  9. Oct 27, 2005 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I voted for pro-life but it really isn't any of the president's business. Overturning Roe v. Wade, or any other Supreme Court ruling, is a matter for the judiciary. At the very extreme end (a Constitutional amendment), it could be a matter for the legislature. It really shouldn't ever be a matter for the president.
  10. Oct 27, 2005 #9
    Seconded. What I don't understand is how there's people out there who are anti-abortion and anti-Iraq war, and voted for Bush because they believed that the former should override the latter. IMO, abortion is not the biggest problem with our country right now.
  11. Oct 27, 2005 #10
    The reason I started the poll is because an american guy on the BBC world service yesterday, was being interviewed about all the hangups and quagmires in the country right now, he agreed across the board that things were a real mess.

But, when the reporter asked "Is the country worse off than a year ago?" he said: "No, I know what you mean, with all the stuff going on, but if Bush can do something to illegalize abortion then I'll feel pretty good about things."

I was floored - all the scandal, everything, and he basically felt that because Bush *could* have some hand in the abortion issue, he was still happy.

It doesn't look like anyone here feels that way, though.
  12. Oct 27, 2005 #11
    Maybe.... there is some sense of martyrdom, that this war is a proce we have to pay to have a shot at porotecting the innocent lives of babies?

I don't know, of course....
  13. Oct 27, 2005 #12
    What are you going to be for halloween?
  14. Oct 27, 2005 #13
    Is what I choose. I dont believe in Murder but I believe that up to a point it should be allowed to abort, anyway this law wont effect me in the slightest bit, so sorry if I skew your results
  15. Oct 27, 2005 #14
    Is that not a contradiction?

Vote against choice, yet the government should stay out of the bedroom? :confused: :confused:

Could you rationalize this please?
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2005
  16. Oct 27, 2005 #15
    I haven't decided. I've always wanted to be one of those moms in a really wicked witch costume or some other costume with real pizzazz.... but anytime I see a woman trying to pull that off it always looks pathetic. If I go out with the kids I'll probably throw on my clown suit. But I took them last year, and so if Mike takes them this year, then I won't dress up at all.
  17. Oct 27, 2005 #16
    Go for the Elvira look.

I haven't decided what I will do for Halloween.

My kids are old enough I might take then to SF for Halloween. it is the biggest holiday celebration of the year. Rivaled only by the Bay-to-Breakers race/parade.
  18. Oct 27, 2005 #17

Gold Member

I took it to mean any government entity (judicial) and/or judicial selection by the president for purposes of ruling against Roe v Wade. However, though people claim the intervention in the Schiavo matter had nothing to do with pro-life, it did. And in this case the president did get involved and tried to intervene.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2005
  19. Oct 27, 2005 #18

Gold Member

As usual, SOS comes out firing with the insults.

I'm not concerned with the first part, the second part is what i was concerned about, i should have made that clearer. The executive branch (ie The Presidency) enforces laws, they don't rule on their constitutionality, thus the poll answer is illogical. And actually, come to think of it, the 2nd and 3rd choices are equally illogical. The President is simply there to have an opinion in this arena of government. This is entirely a judicial problem.

So please, next time read the poll choice before replying. The Presidency is not our entire government.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2005
  20. Oct 27, 2005 #19

Staff: Mentor

I like the wording. I voted for "What will you be for halloween?" and the answer is: drunk.

My opinion on the debate (but not abortion itself) is that it is more trouble than it is worth. Ie, there are more important things to do in this country than argue about an issue that changes very little over time and has very little impact on most peoples' lives.
  21. Oct 27, 2005 #20

Gold Member

This country is a one issue country it seems. I wonder how few people in the bickering community knew her stance on absolutely any other issue outside of the real political community.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?