1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aboslute error calculation

1. Oct 16, 2014 #1
    The absolute error of the quantity p should be calculated.
    p=a*b where a and b are two variables.
    By taking ln on both sides:
    lnp=lna+lnb, then differentiating:
    dp/p=da/a+db/b
    dp=abolute error
    Should I have used total or partial differential in the differentiation step?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2014 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Doesn't matter. [itex] da [/itex] or [itex] \partial a [/itex] or [itex] \Delta a [/itex], they all represent the error in measuring a.

4. Oct 16, 2014 #3
    Which is the most correct to use when I differentiate a function of two variables? Partial derivative?

5. Oct 16, 2014 #4

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Well, now that I think, [itex] d [/itex] is the correct one. Because you're actually differentiating [itex] \ln p [/itex] w.r.t. p regardless of what p depends on! The same for other two logarithms.
    Anyway, I've heard several methods for calculating absolute errors. But the one I prefer, is the following:
    [itex]E[f(x_1,x_2,...,x_n)]=\sqrt{\sum_{k=1}^n (\frac{\partial f}{\partial x_k} dx_k)^2}[/itex]
    Because it obviously gives the maximum change in f for given changes in its arguments.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook