Is Myspace Identity Theft and Phishing a Real Threat?

• Thread starter jshore
  • Start date
  • Tags
    article
In summary, Myspace identity theft and phishing pose a very real threat to individuals and their personal information. These cyber attacks have become increasingly sophisticated and can result in financial loss, damage to personal reputation, and even identity theft. It is important for individuals to be cautious and vigilant when using Myspace and other online platforms to protect themselves from falling victim to these threats.
jshore
I found a such interesting articles about myspace. Do you think we should be threatened by these? The article was entitled, Myspace Identity Theft and Phishing (http://www.profilepitstop.com/articles/myspace/identity-theft-and-myspace-phishing.php ).
Read the article. It is very informative for all those myspace users like me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
All I have to say is that MySpace is a waste of time and energy and that the user's, no offense to any of you, maybe they need a little identity theft.

I strongly dislike the culture of MySpace, and I hope that it is a passing fad.

The current popular attitude towards computer security is confused. Virus software is useless, firewalls and common sense are not. Having a personal webpage for social networking is good, being entirely dependent on, and under the ultimate control of, a third party ike myspace, is not.

People who are fooled by `phishing' are doomed to be fooled by someone somewhere, and the fact that it happened on a computer does not excuse them for being gullible. Any great new tool (such as an internet-connected computer is for social networking) deserves better then to be weilded with carelessness, but that is exactly what the culture of MySpace promotes.

I totally agree with you. First there is no point in it, you put a page about your self, make friends with people that tell you stuff about them selfs, probally fake, then you chat with them. It's stupid, why not just call up your friends, or get on a forum and make some friends. It atleast needs a higher purpose,

I think myspace would be a good way to get in touch with long lost friends or family. But using it everyday to talk to friends seems a bit silly (as someone already stated, just call them on the phone, text message them, etc.).

I do not see myspace dying, and I don't see any new social website ever taking over myspace because myspace has far too many users now. If you create an account at some new website you will then need all your friends to create an account at that new website as well, and this becomes a huge hassle quick. It is as though there has to be a monopoly on it, which is unfortunate as this monopoly (myspace) already sucks. Also myspace is owned by Fox news, which sucks too :grumpy:

i don't get it... I occasionally use it to post a comment to my cousins saying hi because I rarely get the chance to see them but other than that it is useless. I don't see how people can be addicted.

comment from friend one: blah blah blah i like your layout I'm bored i need to study for bio i think I'm just going to put it off

and then that meaningless blurb gets the other friend excited or something and they comment back or whatever. then they spend 5 hours going through their friend's freinds lists.

its amazing how far that can go. My sister saw someone at a store once and thought 'hmm.. i know them from somwhere' and then she realized that they have never spoken ever and she actually saw their page through myspace by going from a friends page to a friend of theirs and so on

the entire thing is a waste of time.

Crosson said:
I strongly dislike the culture of MySpace, and I hope that it is a passing fad.

Ditto.

The current popular attitude towards computer security is confused. Virus software is useless,

Thank you! I totally agree. All they do is make unsafe people feel safe.

firewalls and common sense are not.

I actually don't think of firewalls as being that useful either. If you have viruses on your system, a firewall isn't going to stop them from doing whatever they please. If you have software that is broken and throwing insecure ports out there, either don't use it or disable those features. Why do you need a firewall? What if something you've authorized on the firewall is insecure?

Seems like the only real solution is to use secure, not-broken software in the first place and not do stupid things.

But I wouldn't say its a total waste of time or totally useless..

For example, I had this group of friends in my home country like 11 of em..

half of them went to the US while the other half to another country for university..

and since we ever started university, we have been soo busy (thats normal) that we don't call each other (since the phone bill is so high) and neither can spare the time to chat on IM (since this takes even more time and is way more addictive).

So what we do is that we post in forums on facebook like at least once a week and post pictures, statuses and just the normal "hi there". This somehows keeps us in touch becuz we belong to a collective gathering in one place...

But overall, I don't visit nor spend much time on such sites but I do visit them when i REALLY have NOTHING to do.. and then i check out pics and gossip and stuff...

but yeah, myspace culture no longer seems to be that case. It seems more like "how many friends can you get. period" .. I thought there were variable limitations to

"You have 1474894218746168574654654FF$$%% INF OvErfLoW friends"

but seems like they changed their code haha...

1. What is a myspace article?

A myspace article is a written piece of content that is published on the social media platform, Myspace. It can cover a wide range of topics, from personal experiences to news and entertainment.

2. How do you write a myspace article?

To write a myspace article, it is important to first choose a topic that is relevant and interesting to your audience. Then, gather information and research on the topic. Next, create an outline and draft your article, making sure to include a catchy headline and engaging content. Finally, proofread and edit your article before publishing it on Myspace.

3. Can anyone publish a myspace article?

Yes, anyone with a Myspace account can publish an article on the platform. However, it is important to follow Myspace's guidelines and terms of use when publishing content.

4. How can I make my myspace article stand out?

To make your myspace article stand out, you can use eye-catching visuals, such as images or videos, to accompany your written content. You can also add links to relevant sources and include a call to action for readers to engage with your article.

5. Is it possible to make money from writing myspace articles?

While Myspace does not have a direct monetization program for articles, you can potentially make money through sponsored content or affiliate marketing if you have a large following on the platform. Additionally, writing high-quality articles can help you build a strong online presence and attract potential clients or job opportunities.