1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About a university

1. Sep 12, 2014 #1
    What are some of the best universitues in Fullerton, CA if any for PhD? Some which are best at theoretical physics.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you tried looking in the phone book?

4. Sep 12, 2014 #3
    No, I am not there yet and haven't checked if there's a phonebook on line. But what I am seeking is a universoty of a very good reputation. A university physicists here on physics forums have heard of.

5. Sep 12, 2014 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

SteamKing's point is that you have to do some work on your own. There is exactly one PhD granting school in Fullerton and it took me less than 10 seconds of searching to find this out. Frankly, if you can't find this out on your own, you are not going to make it through a PhD program.

6. Sep 12, 2014 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Did you perhaps mean "near" Fullerton rather than literally "in" Fullerton? Fullerton is a small part of the Los Angeles metropolitan area, which includes such well-known schools as Caltech, UCLA, USC (U of Southern California) and UC Irvine. There are probably others worth mentioning, that I don't have a the top of my memory; I live on the other side of the US. :smile:

The Los Angeles metro area is very large, so you might want to indicate how far you are willing to travel on a daily basis, if for some reason you're forced to live in Fullerton. Can you own and drive a car? Of the schools I named above, UC Irvine appears to be the closest to Fullerton.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  7. Sep 12, 2014 #6
    Thank you for your replies. Vanadium, thanks to your polite and elegant replies, I will not be using this forum again.

8. Sep 12, 2014 #7

Rocket50

Gold Member

Note that there is a big difference between being rude and blunt.

9. Sep 12, 2014 #8
    Pal take a chill pill.
    I have no idea why you got mad about Steam King's comment.
    I usually have to look up some company's names using a Yellow Pages or phone book. I google and found this
    http://internationaladmissions.fullerton.edu/

10. Sep 14, 2014 #9

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If that's your reaction to being told that you need to put more effort in, you will have an even harder time at grad school. Furthermore, saying you won't be back and then creating a new account so you can pretend that it's someone else isn't fooling anyone.

You may not be aware of it, but honesty is more important to a grad school than intelligence, imagination or even working hard. A grad school can tolerate having one of it's alumni fail to make a career of it. They can't tolerate getting caught up in a net of scandal from scientific misconduct.

11. Sep 14, 2014 #10
    That was quite odd vanadium "frankly if you can't find it on your own,you are not going to make it to phd program" that was really discouraging and rude on your part,Atleast i feel it is,quite rude

12. Sep 14, 2014 #11

Rocket50

Gold Member

In graduate school you have to be resourceful. You won't get spoonfed anymore and will have to find resources on your on.

13. Sep 14, 2014 #12

ZombieFeynman

Gold Member

I agree that it was discouraging. But if you are planning on going to graduate school and can't answer the question asked in the OP yourself, I'm not sure you should be encouraged... I disagree that it was rude. I think it was quite honest.

14. Sep 14, 2014 #13

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I have no problem when people ask a question, tell me what they have done to try and answer it, but don't succeed. When people ask a question without doing even a minimal amount of legwork they waste everybody's time - even here, as people are trying to guess whether he means "in Fullerton" or "near Fullerton".

And while it might not be the most encouraging thing, it is nevertheless a fact that grad schools expect more effort. They don't expect that their students will always succeed in finding a piece of information (neither do we), but they do expect that they try.

15. Sep 16, 2014 #14

that is the problem,you both are directly relating his question to his possibility of joining a grad school,How honest is that?

"I FEEL" that question was not even remotely related to his chances of joining a grad school,Just as Many of the "actual" scientists were religious,but THAT didn't affect their research etc...or like YOU CAN'T say an irrational person (specifically religious person) will never/can not add value to the morality in the society OR he cannot understand the scientific method haha

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook